Is anybody else sick of university halls already?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I'm sick of it already, dudes.

It's 'freshers week' right now and despite coronavirus, people are partying and going out/ meeting up at other people's flats without wearing masks or social-distancing (completely against GOV and Uni rules).

Plus, it's SO loud. Like, outside voices everywhere until 12am.
And random students congregating outside my window at 4am hollering and whooping. A few loud flatmates too, up until 2, 3, 4 and even 5am.

Maybe I'm not cut out for halls. Should I try to move out/ exit my contract?
Have you experienced this? Will it get better?

I've only slept here 3 nights and I'm exhausted already :')

Thanks x
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

It's 'freshers week' right now and despite coronavirus, people are partying and going out/ meeting up at other people's flats without wearing masks or social-distancing (completely against GOV and Uni rules).

And random students congregating outside my window at 4am hollering and whooping. A few loud flatmates too, up until 2, 3, 4 and even 5am.

Thanks x
people can calm down a few weeks in and they ve been irresponsible and completely ran out of money. one possibility, although they might not admit to it, is to see if you can swap halls with someone where it does appear to be quiter and they don't like that
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

Thanks x
No, but I experienced a lot of that last year, I would not advise trying to move out/terminating your contract unless you can prove the landlord is in breach of it or have someone who can assume your tenancy in your absence, because there will be financial rammifications.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ROTL94)
No, but I experienced a lot of that last year, I would not advise trying to move out/terminating your contract unless you can prove the landlord is in breach of it or have someone who can assume your tenancy in your absence, because there will be financial rammifications.
How did you cope with it?
That makes sense, thanks for the point about finances.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 days ago
Thats how it was all of last year for me. Unfortunately its something you will have to deal with as theres not many alternatives apart from renting a studio
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
How did you cope with it?
That makes sense, thanks for the point about finances.
Kept my window closed at night, to deal with the people in the street, and made noise complaints to the landlord about the people inside if the noise continued past midnight, didn't take too many of those for it to stop.
SadNacho
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Sorry to say that noise is an unavoidable aspect of every dorm experience. On the bright side, it encourages shut-ins like me to get out more. I cannot recommend earplugs enough, I would never have got any sleep without them.
Last edited by SadNacho; 3 days ago
setarexhx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I had the same problem. I was in halls with 11 other people. Got no sleep for the first 3 nights. It was just absolute madness. Ended up going to the residence services at my uni and asking for a room transfer. I couldn’t stand the noise, especially considering I’m a light sleeper. Now I’m in halls with 4 other people and it’s so quiet and peaceful. I slept well for the first time in 4 days. If it continues I would recommend asking for a room transfer or it might calm down in a few weeks when people get sick of drinking everynight and partying
Anonymous #1
(Original post by setarexhx)
I had the same problem. I was in halls with 11 other people. Got no sleep for the first 3 nights. It was just absolute madness. Ended up going to the residence services at my uni and asking for a room transfer. I couldn’t stand the noise, especially considering I’m a light sleeper. Now I’m in halls with 4 other people and it’s so quiet and peaceful. I slept well for the first time in 4 days. If it continues I would recommend asking for a room transfer or it might calm down in a few weeks when people get sick of drinking everynight and partying
Aw, sad you had to experience that. Glad it's worked out for you though!

A room transfer sounds like a good bet. If it continues I'll go for that. Then at least I have a chance to put some distance between my bed and the courtyard where everybody hangs out 🤞
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SadNacho)
Sorry to say that noise is an unavoidable aspect of every dorm experience. On the bright side, it encourages shut-ins like me to get out more. I cannot recommend earplugs enough, I would never have got any sleep without them.
Might bite the bullet and buy some earplugs :'(
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.2%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.9%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (120)
36.25%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.97%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.44%

Watched Threads