Questions regarding Concord College

Watch
rjoimw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I received an offer on concord college to study in their sixth form college. I'd like to ask what the learning and living environment of the college is like before I decide whether or not to go, thanks
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by rjoimw)
Hi, I received an offer on concord college to study in their sixth form college. I'd like to ask what the learning and living environment of the college is like before I decide whether or not to go, thanks
Learning - very hard working is the norm.
Living - most sixth form rooms are en-suite and have the feel of a typical single-bed hotel room.
The college is in the countryside, so if you want city living, it won't be for you. Assuming covid is mostly a thing of the past when you arrive, sixth formers are bused into Shrewsbury twice a week, which is a lovely town. There are regular trips further afield, e.g. Birmingham.

Are there any specifics that you want to know?
Last edited by Pigster; 7 months ago
martius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! I'm a Concord student in my last year. The learning environment is quite intense since the majority of students come from east and southeast Asia. Most people are nice here but there is also an undercurrent of competitiveness, so be prepared to study hard. Our classes are structured in small groups, so you'll be quite close to the teacher and can get really personal with them. I'm a humanities student so if you're applying for sciences, I don't think I can help you as much, but feel free to ask me anything about my subjects! (English Language and Literature, Economics, History)

About the living environment, it's in the middle of the countryside so it's really peaceful and lovely (at least for me, someone who loves the countryside). It's quiet at night, but if you're with friends the campus is never quiet in the day. You have your own room regardless of year group, though if you're coming for sixth form you'll likely be staying at a room with no ensuite. Year 13 bedrooms all have en suites though, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Because the school is in the countryside, most of the dorms are onsite and the furthest dorm is 15 mins walk - which they'll send a bus to pick you up so no need to worry. You can definitely reach any of the facilities with a ten minute walk, and cleaners also come and clean your room daily. The school also helps you with your laundry, so unless you want to do it yourself, you don't have to worry. Hope this helps!
rjoimw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by martius)
Hi! I'm a Concord student in my last year. The learning environment is quite intense since the majority of students come from east and southeast Asia. Most people are nice here but there is also an undercurrent of competitiveness, so be prepared to study hard. Our classes are structured in small groups, so you'll be quite close to the teacher and can get really personal with them. I'm a humanities student so if you're applying for sciences, I don't think I can help you as much, but feel free to ask me anything about my subjects! (English Language and Literature, Economics, History)

About the living environment, it's in the middle of the countryside so it's really peaceful and lovely (at least for me, someone who loves the countryside). It's quiet at night, but if you're with friends the campus is never quiet in the day. You have your own room regardless of year group, though if you're coming for sixth form you'll likely be staying at a room with no ensuite. Year 13 bedrooms all have en suites though, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Because the school is in the countryside, most of the dorms are onsite and the furthest dorm is 15 mins walk - which they'll send a bus to pick you up so no need to worry. You can definitely reach any of the facilities with a ten minute walk, and cleaners also come and clean your room daily. The school also helps you with your laundry, so unless you want to do it yourself, you don't have to worry. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the lengthy reply! Just wanted to say I've actually accepted the offer and I'm now a 6.1 student at Concord

Definitely enjoying my studies at Concord so far, even though I'm still learning online (since I'm living in Asia). I believe I'll be situated at the furthest dorm (Acton Pigot, is that correct?), so it's a relief to hear that it's only a 15 mins walk at most.

One thing is that even though I've been a student for a few months now, I haven't really made any friends so the school does feel quite unfamiliar for me (I guess mainly because I've been studying online the whole time).

I'm also studying Economics as well, and am looking to do so at University. I would be very grateful if you could share some tips and tricks on this subject Thank you!
martius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the lengthy reply! Just wanted to say I've actually accepted the offer and I'm now a 6.1 student at Concord

Definitely enjoying my studies at Concord so far, even though I'm still learning online (since I'm living in Asia). I believe I'll be situated at the furthest dorm (Acton Pigot, is that correct?), so it's a relief to hear that it's only a 15 mins walk at most.

One thing is that even though I've been a student for a few months now, I haven't really made any friends so the school does feel quite unfamiliar for me (I guess mainly because I've been studying online the whole time).

I'm also studying Economics as well, and am looking to do so at University. I would be very grateful if you could share some tips and tricks on this subject Thank you!
Oh hello! Welcome to Concord - I'm still here so if you want feel free to add me on social media (just dm me!) Yes, Acton Pigot is indeed the furthest dorm, but they send a bus over to pick people up in the morning and send you back at night, so I wouldn't worry too much. But otherwise, it's 15 mins walk at most (or at least that's how long it's supposed to be, I'm a girl so I've never been, haha)

Sadly I'm worse at econs than my other subjects 6.1s also have a different syllabus than 6.2 so I'm not sure how helpful I can be. But if you're looking to do econs at uni, there are a lot of 6.2s who applied for that so I can refer you to some of my friends!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.53%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
65.79%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.47%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (6)
7.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.32%

Watched Threads