Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I know this is quite obvious but it's a bit hard to see what to do. So when I applied I thought I was gonna live in London (uni). I didn't get into student halls and I might stay at home and commute. The cost of commuting is quite high, around 4k+ a year. However, the hard part for me is that I might want to go London and live there bc commuting is difficult. So do I take the maintenance loan for full (money for if I was not living w parents) or do I not? What am I supposed to do? I'm really confused.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I know this is quite obvious but it's a bit hard to see what to do. So when I applied I thought I was gonna live in London (uni). I didn't get into student halls and I might stay at home and commute. The cost of commuting is quite high, around 4k+ a year. However, the hard part for me is that I might want to go London and live there bc commuting is difficult. So do I take the maintenance loan for full (money for if I was not living w parents) or do I not? What am I supposed to do? I'm really confused.
can you find accommodation that you can afford if you took the loan?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by claireestelle)
can you find accommodation that you can afford if you took the loan?
Not rlly. Private accommodation is about 11,500 as a minimum. Some border over to 12,000 if u want to live semi decently. My maintenance loan would be 12,100ish. Id prefer living at home but would stident finance want me to contact them to change it and receive less money. My problem is if I change it and I do go live in london bc commuting is hard, then will I get the full loan reinstated?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not rlly. Private accommodation is about 11,500 as a minimum. Some border over to 12,000 if u want to live semi decently. My maintenance loan would be 12,100ish. Id prefer living at home but would stident finance want me to contact them to change it and receive less money. My problem is if I change it and I do go live in london bc commuting is hard, then will I get the full loan reinstated?
you would get less living from home and then you could request it be changed if you did move out. you wouldn't manage with that amount on rent and a part time job alone realistically
Anonymous #1
(Original post by claireestelle)
you would get less living from home and then you could request it be changed if you did move out. you wouldn't manage with that amount on rent and a part time job alone realistically
I do get 5k from the imperial bursary.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I do get 5k from the imperial bursary.
if that's on top of your loan, then that could be quite doable if you're sensible and stick to a budget.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (17)
20.73%
No (65)
79.27%

Watched Threads