Trouble with loneliness and getting out at Uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Had an idea to set up some blind ‘ friend’ dates for a couple of the societies I’m involved this year. Basically people can sign up who are interested in the activity/hobby and we will then pair them randomly and you can arrange to meet the person whenever you like. Would just like to know what people think this idea generally? Would people be happy to meet up with someone/people that they hadn’t seen on and would also like to get consensus if people prefer 1-1 meeting or groups or don’t mind either?
Abzzz57
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Had an idea to set up some blind ‘ friend’ dates for a couple of the societies I’m involved this year. Basically people can sign up who are interested in the activity/hobby and we will then pair them randomly and you can arrange to meet the person whenever you like. Would just like to know what people think this idea generally? Would people be happy to meet up with someone/people that they hadn’t seen on and would also like to get consensus if people prefer 1-1 meeting or groups or don’t mind either?
Hi, this seems like a really cute idea! I would definitely up for this idea, and I think people who are slightly shyer would feel better because you instantly have something to talk about! I think an option to either meet 1-1 or as a group, so maybe you could have an event where everyone meets their 'blind date', and then after they can go off and do their own thing if they want to? That way they dont have to worry about organising something for the first time?

Fab idea! Good luck with it!
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Isn't the point of joining a society to get involved in an activity and meet liked-minded people, so why give them just one name instead of them circulating at a group meet? If they're forward enough to join up, I wouldn't have thought they'd be the lonely type and I think you'd be targeting the wrong people; surely it's those that don't join societies who need to find friends. And what if they don't get on with the 'blind friend'? I wouldn't be keen on a friendship being pushed on me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.69%
No (278)
78.31%

Watched Threads