Ohnourlp
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I’ve got a place at university of Lincoln, (pharmacy) however I’m not sure if it’s a good university. It’s ranked 22 in the UK by the guardian but #801 by Qs rankings. It also doesn’t seem to be recognised. I haven’t heard of until I did clearing
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/phrphrum/

Are you talking about this course?

Although people keep selling the idea of reputation, whilst applying for jobs I've never once been told my application was strongly purely because of the reputation of my previous universities (both of which are top 10 in UK). And I've worked with plenty of people at such universities who previously went to universities with "lower reputation"-other factors are far more important than "university reputation", such as your experience for the job, degree grade etc.

For a degree like Pharmacy, if it isn't accredited (this Lincoln one looks to be), then you will have to get accredited post-degree somehow, something I'm not familiar with-so I would ONLy accept an offer from an accredited course.
Ohnourlp
Rep:
?
(Original post by QuentinM)
https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/phrphrum/

Are you talking about this course?

Although people keep selling the idea of reputation, whilst applying for jobs I've never once been told my application was strongly purely because of the reputation of my previous universities (both of which are top 10 in UK). And I've worked with plenty of people at such universities who previously went to universities with "lower reputation"-other factors are far more important than "university reputation", such as your experience for the job, degree grade etc.

For a degree like Pharmacy, if it isn't accredited (this Lincoln one looks to be), then you will have to get accredited post-degree somehow, something I'm not familiar with-so I would ONLy accept an offer from an accredited course.
yes It’s definitely registered and accredited. It’s just a bit annoying when I have to do explain where I’m going as everyone keeps saying they’ve never heard of it. Maybe because I live in London and Lincoln is in the middle of nowhere ? I was given offers from Westminster , Brunel , Essex but in the end I chose Lincoln so I just really hope it was a good decision.
Advertisement
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
QS is an international ranking isn't it? Obviously it'll be lower in a worldwide ranking versus a national ranking.
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Pharmacy is Pharmacy, no matter where you do it. The reputation of the uni won't matter if you get the qualification. That said, there are perks to going to a top Pharmacy school, such as better labs, leading academics, nicer campuses, and prestige.
Advertisement
Ohnourlp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
QS is an international ranking isn't it? Obviously it'll be lower in a worldwide ranking versus a national ranking.
Yes but for a UK ranked 22 uni it should be much higher. Brunel is ranked about 60 in the UK yet the QS in under 200. It doesn’t add up and I’m very confused. Also nobody has heard of Lincoln, have you ? When applying for a student bank account, Lincoln wasn’t on the list and I had to list it as “other”. Maybe I’m overreacting but I will be travelling 3hours away from home for 5 years. I really just want some answers/opinions. There’s not much on the internet and the university it’s self is obviously going to portray themselves in the best way possible.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Sudanidoll)
Yes but for a UK ranked 22 uni it should be much higher. Brunel is ranked about 60 in the UK yet the QS in under 200. It doesn’t add up and I’m very confused. Also nobody has heard of Lincoln, have you ? When applying for a student bank account, Lincoln wasn’t on the list and I had to list it as “other”. Maybe I’m overreacting but I will be travelling 3hours away from home for 5 years. I really just want some answers/opinions. There’s not much on the internet and the university it’s self is obviously going to portray themselves in the best way possible.
Yeah I'd heard of Lincoln. First I heard of it was because TomSka made those "banned university of Lincoln advert" skits on youtube, but still.
It is also the punchline of a joke in The Inbetweeners, so that might be where a lot of people also heard of it.

International rankings use different methodology to domestic rankings. With QS it's based off reputation among academics, research output via number of citations and staff/student ratios. Meanwhile the Guardian and Complete university rankings are based more off student satisfaction scores from the NSS, entry standards, and research intensity.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 3 days ago
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.11%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.34%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.41%

Watched Threads