The Student Room Group

Failed Master's dissertation twice

I failed my Master's dissertation by one point and after resubmission addressing everything that was in the feedback failed by 5 points. I had originally submitted special circumstances which i have been informed were taken into consideration.

I am a student with a disability so i need all materials in hard copy which were provided late to me for both years of my course and all IT assisted equipment provided for the first year were also provided late so for both years i was playing catch up.

I did complaint during the course about the length of time it took to provide the materials. Having failed my dissertation the first time and putting in the complaint and providing evidence emails etc of confirming communication chasing up course materials and length of time waiting for materials after the course had started and materials going missing in the post, having extensions etc etc . My complaint was looked in to but not upheld. I tried to submit an appeal but was told that i couldn't because it did meet the criteria for an appeal.

Studying the Master's as a student with a disability and having to spend the entire two years playing catch up caused me a lot of stress and anxiety and then to fail by one point and then fail by five is unbelievable. To make situations worse i had to submit my complaint to the department that i was complaining about so i can't help thinking that ....... Is there anything i can do? And how is it possible to fail by one point and then fail by five??
Reply 1
It's really hard to say without reading the stuff. But the first thing that you should do is speak to your student union, and take whatever evidence you have for all this with you

Is there a sympathetic staff member? Academic/pastoral advisor?
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
It's really hard to say without reading the stuff. But the first thing that you should do is speak to your student union, and take whatever evidence you have for all this with you

Is there a sympathetic staff member? Academic/pastoral advisor?

It is very hard at the time to get hold of someone from the student union and when i did i was told that they do not deal with these kind of things and to speak to my tutor.

There is no sympathetic ear that i can speak to there. It's like a brick wall.
Sounds a grim situation, but, well, it's possible your work simply wasn't up to standard and the first mark was in fact generous. Not saying that's the case, but I do find it believable.

In terms of complaints...unless it's of some sort of personal nature, generally you are required to complain directly to the same agency/team/dept in the first instance as you need to give them an opportunity to respond or act, trying to escalate complaints outside of this is often viewed badly/vexatiously. :redface:

If it were me, i'd be looking for exactly what they pledged in terms of support and materials and what they did or did not do and whether it was realistically within their control (losing things in the mail isn't), but even then they may not consider such a retroactive support issue valid... I'd try talking to student union or support again to ask simply for advice or anything else they can do, they might not be able to act but may be able to advise or help put a complaint together.
Reply 4
The SU saying they don't deal with this stuff is a cop out. They should have someone there versed in the relevant procedures who can offer slid, evidence-based advice
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Sounds a grim situation, but, well, it's possible your work simply wasn't up to standard and the first mark was in fact generous. Not saying that's the case, but I do find it believable.

In terms of complaints...unless it's of some sort of personal nature, generally you are required to complain directly to the same agency/team/dept in the first instance as you need to give them an opportunity to respond or act, trying to escalate complaints outside of this is often viewed badly/vexatiously. :redface:

If it were me, i'd be looking for exactly what they pledged in terms of support and materials and what they did or did not do and whether it was realistically within their control (losing things in the mail isn't), but even then they may not consider such a retroactive support issue valid... I'd try talking to student union or support again to ask simply for advice or anything else they can do, they might not be able to act but may be able to advise or help put a complaint together

I did my BSc with them years ago and i did not encounter this at all any additional materials that i needed or the one or two bits that i may not have received the library would print and send out to me and i would receive them the next day. This time around when the materials that went missing in the post OU said that they would need to investigate fully before they send out any more materials which meant more precious studying time lost for me.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I will get back on to the student union :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
The SU saying they don't deal with this stuff is a cop out. They should have someone there versed in the relevant procedures who can offer slid, evidence-based advice

Thanks. I'll get back on to them :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending