Moved into uni, but there's only 1 other person here.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I moved into my uni house share today. It's 5 bed in a really nice area. I was expecting to either be the first person here or the last. Turns out there is only one other guy here, the rest are coming in staggered due to Covid 19 and people having to make different move in dates.
Once i'd done unpacking and sorting everything out, I went down to say hi. He has a lot of friends around here and had been here since the beginning of the month so he already has his bearings and a pretty solid idea of the campus.
He told me he was off out to meet people and stuff so he went off. I'm now in a house on my own with literally nothing to do All my mates are coming down later on in the week and so I don't really know what to do.

Obviously due to covid it isn't going to be the same this year with freshers week and so I feel like it may be a little harder to form good friendships with the people moving in.
I've heard other first years talk about how they all turned up on the same day, had a conversations and went out for freshers and done lots of cool activities. This seems like such and easy way to make friends and make the most out of uni life, so I'm not sure what to do with he situation I'm in.

Is anyone else in a similar position, or does anyone have any advice as to what I can do in this first week so I don't waste it lol?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I moved into my uni house share today. It's 5 bed in a really nice area. I was expecting to either be the first person here or the last. Turns out there is only one other guy here, the rest are coming in staggered due to Covid 19 and people having to make different move in dates.
Once i'd done unpacking and sorting everything out, I went down to say hi. He has a lot of friends around here and had been here since the beginning of the month so he already has his bearings and a pretty solid idea of the campus.
He told me he was off out to meet people and stuff so he went off. I'm now in a house on my own with literally nothing to do All my mates are coming down later on in the week and so I don't really know what to do.

Obviously due to covid it isn't going to be the same this year with freshers week and so I feel like it may be a little harder to form good friendships with the people moving in.
I've heard other first years talk about how they all turned up on the same day, had a conversations and went out for freshers and done lots of cool activities. This seems like such and easy way to make friends and make the most out of uni life, so I'm not sure what to do with he situation I'm in.

Is anyone else in a similar position, or does anyone have any advice as to what I can do in this first week so I don't waste it lol?
Difficult spot to be in right now.

Perhaps try and get in a group chat or something with people at your uni.

Maybe try and have a conversation with this person. Build a rapport. Perhaps casually try and ask for an invite (i.e. like ask to hang out if he knows anything going on).

If you find other freshers about on campus or something just go say "hey" and try and be positive, obviously you need to be a little more careful with social distancing, rule of 6 and all that.

Im pretty sure lots of unis are staggering students coming back to reduce covid chances. Once term kicks on & societies get going things should be a little easier.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Explore the area - where are the shops, how do you get to town, what sports facilities are there?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by mnot)
Difficult spot to be in right now.

Perhaps try and get in a group chat or something with people at your uni.

Maybe try and have a conversation with this person. Build a rapport. Perhaps casually try and ask for an invite (i.e. like ask to hang out if he knows anything going on).

If you find other freshers about on campus or something just go say "hey" and try and be positive, obviously you need to be a little more careful with social distancing, rule of 6 and all that.

Im pretty sure lots of unis are staggering students coming back to reduce covid chances. Once term kicks on & societies get going things should be a little easier.
Yeah I hope so when everyone moves in and societies start I'm hoping it'll pick up a bit. But yeah ill for sure try and get democratically invited haha. Thanks for the reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (42)
13.21%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.47%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (114)
35.85%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (32)
10.06%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
21.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
5.35%

Watched Threads