Scrapping a car (parts)

Watch
Student540
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys.

In a situation where I have to destroy a car at a scrapyard. To make sure everything was legal i am going through CarTakeBack but they have only offered me £50 to take away. Car drives well and only reason it’s being scrapped is that there is welding that needs done to pass MOT.

Should I be taking parts off the car before they come to collect and if so what parts should I be taking? I don’t want any fines or losing money but selling the car for £50 has lost me loads already.

Car is a Toyota Yaris MK2 if you guys have suggestions on what parts to take off before going through with it.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well if you've agreed to sell the car for scrap, anything you remove afterwards is basically fraud...

Would the welding have cost some huge amount of money? In most cases i'd have been inclined to do that, MOT and sell it rather than 'worst scrap value possible'
Student540
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Well if you've agreed to sell the car for scrap, anything you remove afterwards is basically fraud...

Would the welding have cost some huge amount of money? In most cases i'd have been inclined to do that, MOT and sell it rather than 'worst scrap value possible'
Okay that makes sense. Would’ve cost about £400 and would’ve just been constantly getting welded. On a provisional license so not overly disappointed. Just raging I put a few hundred into it for it to be destroyed and it still drives like a charm.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Student540)
Okay that makes sense. Would’ve cost about £400 and would’ve just been constantly getting welded. On a provisional license so not overly disappointed. Just raging I put a few hundred into it for it to be destroyed and it still drives like a charm.
If you only spent a few 100 on it just to have something to practice in...then yeah, i'd prob let it go as it can easily turn into a money pit. esp if you don't need it right now.

Still a shame to let any running car go to cheap scrap though, how old is it?
Student540
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
If you only spent a few 100 on it just to have something to practice in...then yeah, i'd prob let it go as it can easily turn into a money pit. esp if you don't need it right now.

Still a shame to let any running car go to cheap scrap though, how old is it?
2007, 150k miles. Runs like a charm just rust and corrosion on the underside is all. Only other thing is braked being worn but it’s old enough like
LTEcactus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Student540)
2007, 150k miles. Runs like a charm just rust and corrosion on the underside is all. Only other thing is braked being worn but it’s old enough like
Are you sure it's terminal corrosion on the underside? It's very common for cars of that age to have superficial surface corrosion.
But for a 2007 car to have such bad rust, has it been driven through a river or something??
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LTEcactus)
Are you sure it's terminal corrosion on the underside? It's very common for cars of that age to have superficial surface corrosion.
But for a 2007 car to have such bad rust, has it been driven through a river or something??
My 08 Corsa got killed 2 years ago for underside corrosion, it all connected to something else...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads