Why are entry standards at Essex Uni so low?

Watch
mma_jd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I'm starting at Essex next month but I've really been wondering for a while, why are the entry requirements for this uni so low? On the league tables, it ranks pretty high and has a high percentage for research quality, student satisfaction, and graduate prospects. The only percentage thats really low is their entry requirements, and this must be true because I got in through clearing when I got rejected by other unis like Reading. So what is the reason for their very generous entry requirements despite having good stats otherwise?
tiktoksensation
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Different universities have different standards for entry. Some lower ranked universities have higher entry requirements for certain courses than higher ranked universities and vice versa.
mma_jd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by tiktoksensation)
Different universities have different standards for entry. Some lower ranked universities have higher entry requirements for certain courses than higher ranked universities and vice versa.
Well yes but I'm wondering what the actual reason is. Are they desperate to grow their population or something? With the higher stats they have, they could easily have higher entry requirements surely and people who do well at school would still apply?
tiktoksensation
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can't speak for Essex specifically because I don't know much about them but it's sometimes to do with location. Universities outside of the big cities sometimes struggle to attract students so lower entry requirements mean more applications. UEA is ranked quite highly across the board but their entry requirements for most courses are modest. Rankings also don't mean everything and they're often not a reliable judgement of how good/bad a university is.
BM0510
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
Hi, I'm starting at Essex next month but I've really been wondering for a while, why are the entry requirements for this uni so low? On the league tables, it ranks pretty high and has a high percentage for research quality, student satisfaction, and graduate prospects. The only percentage thats really low is their entry requirements, and this must be true because I got in through clearing when I got rejected by other unis like Reading. So what is the reason for their very generous entry requirements despite having good stats otherwise?
I've been wondering this exact same question too! I start at Essex next month and also got in through clearing, it seems like a really solid university but the low entry requirements worry me. I know that Essex are trying to increase their student population so that would explain the low entry requirements but surely they wouldnt go that low? Essex is also more remote compared to bigger, city universities and in general more isolated universities have lower entry requirements because less people apply. Essex also offer a lot of foundation-year degrees for student who don't meet entry requirements and I've seen a few people doing these courses.
TheOtherTeam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tiktoksensation)
I can't speak for Essex specifically because I don't know much about them but it's sometimes to do with location. Universities outside of the big cities sometimes struggle to attract students so lower entry requirements mean more applications. UEA is ranked quite highly across the board but their entry requirements for most courses are modest. Rankings also don't mean everything and they're often not a reliable judgement of how good/bad a university is.
I'd agree with this overall. Colchester isn't really an interesting place to live so they really need to encourage students to come there because while it has a good reputation, it's not enough to attract people to live there
FionaMG
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My daughter has just come to the end of five years at Essex (BA+year abroad, followed by Master's) and has been very happy with the university, the teaching and facilities. She especially enjoyed her first year on campus as there was always plenty going on and it was very social (obviously not quite the same at the moment due to the C-word ). As far as I know, her friends taking different courses were also satisfied.
When she was going through the application process we attended an open day and an applicants' day and from chatting with the teaching and admissions staff we understood that they place a lot of value on the overall potential shown from both your personal statement and your reference as opposed to focusing merely on academic results.
sharonmaks
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,I’m also starting at Essex this year. I was really worried because Essex is much higher than the uni I did foundation in( University of Kent) but I didn’t get the grades for the course in Kent and applied to Essex through clearing. But I think it is because they want everyone to know that they are a university who is fair. Regardless of the requirements we should be happy we got into the university. 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads