how to show a trigonometric function is increasing?

Watch
dxnixl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

here (again) yes my maths teachers want to kill me before COVID does :P

I’ll attach the question and my working - i just don’t know how to explain it? I’ve drawn a diagram to prove it and worked out dy/dx.

Name:  08412422-64BE-4A26-8110-666A7E168B1D.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  19.5 KB
Name:  C77EB7F3-2402-4649-95C3-2053825253ED.jpeg
Size:  125.0 KB

Thanks!
Last edited by dxnixl; 1 week ago
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
Hi,

I’ll attach the question and my working - i just don’t know how to explain it? I’ve drawn a diagram to prove it and worked out dy/dx.

Thanks!
A function is increasing if its derivative is \geq 0. So as long as you can reason out why the derivative never negative, then you're good.
dxnixl
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
A function is increasing if its derivative is \geq 0. So as long as you can reason out why the derivative never negative, then you're good.
so do i just differentiate xcosx again ergh i know that but for some reason i’ve gone blank :/ What do i substitute into xcosx to prove its greater or equal to 0?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
so do i just differentiate xcosx again ergh i know that but for some reason i’ve gone blank :/ What do i substitute into xcosx to prove its greater or equal to 0?
Not again ... you already got the derivative, you just need to explain why it is \geq 0.

Note what the values of x are. Are they all positive? So is cos(x) always positive? Are you always ending up with a product xcos(x) which is positive?
dxnixl
Rep:
?
Not again ... you already got the derivative, you just need to explain why it is \geq 0.

Note what the values of x are. Are they all positive? So is cos(x) always positive? Are you always ending up with a product xcos(x) which is positive?
yep - if i substitute any value between 0 and Pi/2, i always get a result > 0, so it’s an increasing function.

Would writing this be enough for the marks or do i have to numerically prove it?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
strictly speaking the gradient must be positive for an increasing function. if is zero then we say it is "stationary"
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yep - if i substitute any value between 0 and Pi/2, i always get a result > 0, so it’s an increasing function.

Would writing this be enough for the marks or do i have to numerically prove it?
To numerically prove it you would need to substitute in every real number between 0 and pi/2 ... up for the challenge?

All you need to do is reason it out, and as long as you do that you will get the marks.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by the bear)
strictly speaking the gradient must be positive for an increasing function. if is zero then we say it is "stationary"
https://www.math24.net/increasing-decreasing-functions/

It's like sequences.

{ 0 , 0 , 0 , ...} is increasing because a_{n+1} \geq a_n

{ 0 ,1 , 2 , ... } is strictly increasing because a_{n+1} > a_n
dxnixl
Rep:
?
To numerically prove it you would need to substitute in every real number between 0 and pi/2 ... up for the challenge?

All you need to do is reason it out, and as long as you do that you will get the marks.
Alright thanks
Melvin Guna
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Thanks!
please double check your derivative, did you remember to use the product rule for xsinx
Melvin Guna
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Thanks!
please double check your derivative, did you remember to use the product rule for xsinx
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.math24.net/increasing-decreasing-functions/

It's like sequences.

{ 0 , 0 , 0 , ...} is increasing because a_{n+1} \geq a_n

{ 0 ,1 , 2 , ... } is strictly increasing because a_{n+1} > a_n
http://www.sunshinemaths.com/topics/...easing-curves/
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Melvin Guna)
The function is
xsin(x) + cos(x)
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can have isolated points where the gradient is zero and still have a strictly increasing function. E.g. x^3 is strictly increasing (everywhere) but has derivative 0 at x = 0. (Most A-level references won't deal with this edge case, however).
Melvin Guna
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
The function is
xsin(x) + cos(x)
yeah, but the derivative of function xsin(x) + cos(x) is not xcos(x)
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Melvin Guna)
yeah, but the derivative of function xsin(x) + cos(x) is not xcos(x)
What is it?
Melvin Guna
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
What is it?
apologies ... I misread your earlier comment-you are right
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
You can have isolated points where the gradient is zero and still have a strictly increasing function. E.g. x^3 is strictly increasing (everywhere) but has derivative 0 at x = 0. (Most A-level references won't deal with this edge case, however).
thank you for clarifying
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thank you for clarifying
No problem! FWIW, RDKGames is correct that the mathematical convention is that "increasing" includes the \leq case. I confess I was somewhat surprised as "non-decreasing" seems a better (less ambiguous) way of dealing with this (and that was what I *thought* the convention was).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (29)
26.61%
Less motivated (80)
73.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed