The Student Room Group

Comparison of different engineering courses

I have just completed my first year in Mechanical Engineering and I have a friend at another university doing exactly the same course as me and after our exams we were discussing how our exams went.

It turns out lots of his exams had essay style questions and multiple choice answers, while literally all of my exams were problem solving and calculations.

It got me thinking how different the exams are between universities even for the same subject and same module, like Thermodynamics or Engineering Maths for example.

Although our uni's are different, I was under the impression that engineering degrees were pretty much the same everywhere, so I wanted to ask anyone who's done engineering; what were your first year exams like?

Did you find them really tough or quite easy? What types of questions did you have to answer? Was it a big step up from A Level or not?
Original post by unistudent900453
I have just completed my first year in Mechanical Engineering and I have a friend at another university doing exactly the same course as me and after our exams we were discussing how our exams went.

It turns out lots of his exams had essay style questions and multiple choice answers, while literally all of my exams were problem solving and calculations.

It got me thinking how different the exams are between universities even for the same subject and same module, like Thermodynamics or Engineering Maths for example.

Although our uni's are different, I was under the impression that engineering degrees were pretty much the same everywhere, so I wanted to ask anyone who's done engineering; what were your first year exams like?

Did you find them really tough or quite easy? What types of questions did you have to answer? Was it a big step up from A Level or not?

I don't know why you find it particularly surprising that same courses at different unis are completely different, as some unis tend to lean toward a more practical vs theoretical side of things. I don't know any examples within the area of engineering, but I know that Bristol University has a very logic-based Philosophy degree, so it's well-respected for its Maths & Philosophy and Physics & Philosophy courses.
Reply 2
Original post by unistudent900453

Hi, following, as am interested too!

Quick Reply

Latest