Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This might be a bit long, but I really want to know if anyone else has had similar experiences or has any advice:

I'm 17 and although I'm quite introverted, I have a good friendship group and can be quite outgoing with people I know well. Ever since parties started to get a bit more 'adult' (I don't know how to say it lol) with drinking and things like that, I've been too anxious to go.
I don't drink and I'm quite scared of other drunk people? as well as being scared of sick (bit weird but it's quite a common phobia).
I keep avoiding parties and the last time I went to one was my best friend's birthday 6 months ago- I felt so anxious the whole time that I haven't been to anyone's since.
Around that time I also went to a concert with some of my close friends and found it so overwhelming that when i came out i was unable to speak? Like so panicked i couldn't actually say anything.
I really want to hear from some other people because I want to go to uni at the end of school and I'm worried I won't be able to go out and make friends. Also does anyone have any tips? My friend's birthday is coming up and I really want to be able to go. Should I talk to my friends about it? I don't like them thinking I'm rude for refusing every invitation.
Thanks
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This might be a bit long, but I really want to know if anyone else has had similar experiences or has any advice:

I'm 17 and although I'm quite introverted, I have a good friendship group and can be quite outgoing with people I know well. Ever since parties started to get a bit more 'adult' (I don't know how to say it lol) with drinking and things like that, I've been too anxious to go.
I don't drink and I'm quite scared of other drunk people? as well as being scared of sick (bit weird but it's quite a common phobia).
I keep avoiding parties and the last time I went to one was my best friend's birthday 6 months ago- I felt so anxious the whole time that I haven't been to anyone's since.
Around that time I also went to a concert with some of my close friends and found it so overwhelming that when i came out i was unable to speak? Like so panicked i couldn't actually say anything.
I really want to hear from some other people because I want to go to uni at the end of school and I'm worried I won't be able to go out and make friends. Also does anyone have any tips? My friend's birthday is coming up and I really want to be able to go. Should I talk to my friends about it? I don't like them thinking I'm rude for refusing every invitation.
Thanks
I think the way you're feeling is actually quite common and reasonable. You don't need to drink to have fun, but I totally understand your reservations about being around drunk people (they can be a bit, err, unpleasant). I would definitely mention it to your friends, maybe they have been through something similar and can offer their advice/experiences to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (68)
22.08%
No (240)
77.92%

Watched Threads