ataraxiia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I'm planning on applying to Christ Church for law however Magdalen caught my eye due to their active presence on social media, in terms of increasing access and making it seem like a more friendly and fun place compared to Christ Church's pretty dead use of it. Also, it doesn't seem nearly as diverse??

If any of you have been to either I'd be really grateful if you could tell me your experience of the college, particularly in relation to social life, diversity and accommodation - thanks !
Advertisement
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by ataraxiia)
I'm planning on applying to Christ Church for law however Magdalen caught my eye due to their active presence on social media, in terms of increasing access and making it seem like a more friendly and fun place compared to Christ Church's pretty dead use of it. Also, it doesn't seem nearly as diverse??

If any of you have been to either I'd be really grateful if you could tell me your experience of the college, particularly in relation to social life, diversity and accommodation - thanks !
In terms of diversity, it's really deceptively hard to tell from the stats. The 2019 admissions data says 20% of ChCh freshers were BAME, compared to 18% for Mag, but even Wadham and LMH - supposedly very 'left-wing' - only manage 19% and 22% BAME respectively. Admission from state schools is a bit more divergent, with Ch Ch and Mag at the bottom end (50% and 53% against the average of 60% (the stars are Mansfield at 94%).
https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...20.pdf#page=22

I cant tell you much about Magdalen, but my daughter was from a Welsh comprehensive and applied elsewhere, but was offered a place at ChCh. She really enjoyed it, and her closest friends turned out to be from private schools. She sang in the college choir, organised a period poverty campaign, played croquet, and erm went clubbing quite a lot. The accommodation at ChCh is generally very good throughout.
ataraxiia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
In terms of diversity, it's really deceptively hard to tell from the stats. The 2019 admissions data says 20% of ChCh freshers were BAME, compared to 18% for Mag, but even Wadham and LMH - supposedly very 'left-wing' - only manage 19% and 22% BAME respectively. Admission from state schools is a bit more divergent, with Ch Ch and Mag at the bottom end (50% and 53% against the average of 60% (the stars are Mansfield at 94%).
https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...20.pdf#page=22

I cant tell you much about Magdalen, but my daughter was from a Welsh comprehensive and applied elsewhere, but was offered a place at ChCh. She really enjoyed it, and her closest friends turned out to be from private schools. She sang in the college choir, organised a period poverty campaign, played croquet, and erm went clubbing quite a lot. The accommodation at ChCh is generally very good throughout.
Hi there, thank you so much for your detailed response I'll keep it in mind
Would I be right in thinking then, based on your daughter's experience, that most people there aren't too snooty at all as the stereotypes portray people there to be like?
Advertisement
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by ataraxiia)
Hi there, thank you so much for your detailed response I'll keep it in mind
Would I be right in thinking then, based on your daughter's experience, that most people there aren't too snooty at all as the stereotypes portray people there to be like?
I'd say there is typically a clique of 'Brideshead Revisited' wannabes at most colleges, but they aren't hard to avoid. Most people are pretty normal, even if, like most other RG univs, Oxford has more from middle class backgrounds than are in society as a whole
ataraxiia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
I'd say there is typically a clique of 'Brideshead Revisited' wannabes at most colleges, but they aren't hard to avoid. Most people are pretty normal, even if, like most other RG univs, Oxford has more from middle class backgrounds than are in society as a whole
oh okay thank you for helping
Advertisement
Ja-m-ie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
There’s a great video on Magdalen’s accommodation here from a student perspective: https://youtu.be/8jmFfAiowZ0
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.11%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.34%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.41%

Watched Threads