The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Julesandjasmine
Your Mother is abusive don't be hard on yourself you are just acting like anyone else would in your situation. I would try and avoid your mother who sounds like a narcissistic person to me and get away as soon as possible

See I thought these things too, and I still do believe she likes to get her own way, seek attention from other family memebers which will obviously make her look like we all do things to upset her???

But at the same time I also do blame myself for swearing, or telling her to shutup rather than just staying quiet. But it is hard to when she digs at everything and over nothing sometimes. I also do misbehave sometimes but that is something to deal with now rather than pick at something from the past. We have had our great times of course but just past these few months it has been terrible
Just try not to swear. I suppose it's possible that she may be stressed out about something and she is taking it out on you but that doesn't excuse her behaviour. Have you tried saying Mum every time you say these things it makes me feel like you don't care about me?
Original post by Anonymous
My father knows :frown: but literally nothing he can do it about it since he is at work most of the time. And if she does shout at me for no reason my dad does back me. Which leads to even more shouting between them 😭

I don’t hate my mother at all. I know I can be annoying/misbehaved/ not do chores etc but what gets to me is that even when I’m not provoking her or completely ignoring her, she still finds something to shout about or say something indirectly which gets me so pissed.

Well you need to suck up to her, the more you suck up to her and do things the way she likes, the more embarrassed she will start to become with her own behaviour.
Can you at least have normal conversations? You say you have times you enjoy together, why not have more of them?

You can try to stay out of her way, but tbh people tend to pick up on when they are being avoided and can make things worse from my own experience.

I think once you are at a distance (so eventually when you do move out/ get married/ go uni etc) things tend to get better.
See I thought these things too, and I still do believe she likes to get her own way, seek attention from other family memebers which will obviously make her look like we all do things to upset her???

But at the same time I also do blame myself for swearing, or telling her to shutup rather than just staying quiet. But it is hard to when she digs at everything and over nothing sometimes. I also do misbehave sometimes but that is something to deal with now rather than pick at something from the past. We have had our great times of course but just past these few months it has been terrible

You really need to not swear at her and definitely do not tell her to shut up. That's against Islamic teachings too. Just because one person doesn't abide by Islamic teachings, doesn't mean you should do the same. You want to say something, don't when she is shouting etc let her calm down and then is a wise manner (wise is very important) say what you need to say. If you are not wise about it, you will make things worse.

Win her over with kindness.
True! Currently I’m back to just staying quiet and ignoring her. She hasn’t said anything yet which is good but next time I will just put on some kind of distraction to listen to
You’re right :frown: that’s the thing I try not to swear or say anything but while I am ignoring she’ll say something that will really push my buttons but yes that is no excuse for my actions. Alhamdullilah for the past few days it has been quiet
Yh it makes sense but thats why you ask them if they have something to say usually they'll look away and thats where uoi say something like thats what i thought nothin then carry on with what your doin
True! Currently I’m back to just staying quiet and ignoring her. She hasn’t said anything yet which is good but next time I will just put on some kind of distraction to listen to

I did not say to ignore her outright either :facepalm: Just control yourself and find somewhere good to put your anger to use e.g. dough making or kickboxing or art etc

You’re right :frown: that’s the thing I try not to swear or say anything but while I am ignoring she’ll say something that will really push my buttons but yes that is no excuse for my actions. Alhamdullilah for the past few days it has been quiet

Good stuff it has been quiet but I think that this is an issue you will have to deal with. In life we meet many people and some of them will try to push our buttons to get a reaction or for whatever sad reason they have, retaliating is not the way to deal with it. For your own self find a way to deal. This is your mother, other people will not hold any connection to you and will not consider limits either. Get a hold and stop feeling sorry for yourself, victim mentality does not do anyone good. You are better than that, see it. Peoples words should not affect you too much, you should be confident in yourself and know who you are and no matter how others see you or what they say, stay true to yourself and value who you are, know your own worth.
Update: my mum is still as vile as the OP and nothing has changed considering it’s been months. I KNOW me swearing is soooo terrible and a horrible habit but i literally feel as if I have 0 respect left for her at all. Absolutely vile that she continues to play victim to relatives, says horrible things about my dads side family yet so lovely to their face?!, talks to “herself” for hours in front of us cussing my dad and me and when I shout she goes who was talking to you in the first place when she’s saying all these nasty things in front of my face!!!! Every-time we fight says how none of my relatives want me? LOL like I give a damn. She does weird **** like when she knows we are going to go to the bathroom...she runs in! And when we are like hurryyy she screams saying she was gona go anyways? Also instead of asking if someone did this or not, she automatically blames whoever without trying to listen to any context etc I don’t get why I would be dammed to hell just for not being able to respect so called “Mum”. Yes I’ve read the Islamic rulings on loving your mother, but I cannot stand mine at all. How can I love her when she is so manipulative, shouts about things that she does exactly herself, plays victim to relatives. I cry almost everyday because I can’t take it, she does it most and goes crazier when my dad goes off to work as it gives her more freedom to say whatever about him whenever and scream at home. I don’t see anywhere online (islamic) of how bad mothers effect our mental health and how to help it. But instead they all day respect and love your mother no matter what. This isn’t just normal shouting about something trivial, it’s CONSTANT and manipulative lies that come out of her mouth. Biggest hypocrite I’ve met. I have never come across a toxic person like her in school even!

I am no good of a daughter I understand. But I don’t even talk to her at all nor go out of my way to talk to her. But she’s continuously saying so much crap and pushing me further that I do flip. I cry nearly every day sometimes want to smash my head in because I know me being horrible back is a grave sin but I cannot respect and love her as I “have” to?! I don’t know what to do at this rate. Advice about just talk to this relative n that it won’t work. I wish I could go to my dads side and blurt out everything about her but I’m not the same person as her to go out and humiliate others, I feel like going to a therapist or something because I’m sick of it and her
Here's my advice. Just because they are your parents doesn't give them some magical right to make your life hell. Be

Update: my mum is still as vile as the OP and nothing has changed considering it’s been months. I KNOW me swearing is soooo terrible and a horrible habit but i literally feel as if I have 0 respect left for her at all. Absolutely vile that she continues to play victim to relatives, says horrible things about my dads side family yet so lovely to their face?!, talks to “herself” for hours in front of us cussing my dad and me and when I shout she goes who was talking to you in the first place when she’s saying all these nasty things in front of my face!!!! Every-time we fight says how none of my relatives want me? LOL like I give a damn. She does weird **** like when she knows we are going to go to the bathroom...she runs in! And when we are like hurryyy she screams saying she was gona go anyways? Also instead of asking if someone did this or not, she automatically blames whoever without trying to listen to any context etc I don’t get why I would be dammed to hell just for not being able to respect so called “Mum”. Yes I’ve read the Islamic rulings on loving your mother, but I cannot stand mine at all. How can I love her when she is so manipulative, shouts about things that she does exactly herself, plays victim to relatives. I cry almost everyday because I can’t take it, she does it most and goes crazier when my dad goes off to work as it gives her more freedom to say whatever about him whenever and scream at home. I don’t see anywhere online (islamic) of how bad mothers effect our mental health and how to help it. But instead they all day respect and love your mother no matter what. This isn’t just normal shouting about something trivial, it’s CONSTANT and manipulative lies that come out of her mouth. Biggest hypocrite I’ve met. I have never come across a toxic person like her in school even!

I am no good of a daughter I understand. But I don’t even talk to her at all nor go out of my way to talk to her. But she’s continuously saying so much crap and pushing me further that I do flip. I cry nearly every day sometimes want to smash my head in because I know me being horrible back is a grave sin but I cannot respect and love her as I “have” to?! I don’t know what to do at this rate. Advice about just talk to this relative n that it won’t work. I wish I could go to my dads side and blurt out everything about her but I’m not the same person as her to go out and humiliate others, I feel like going to a therapist or something because I’m sick of it and her

Honestly just sever ties with them. Thats what im planning on doing with my parents when i go uni.
We have the same situation , I’m not even joking I didn’t remember the op. I just read a tiny part of the recent post you’ve written. And I’m pretty sure I remember the gist of it

Honestly. Some women, men as well. They aren’t worth time , not by any means. It doesn’t matter what religion or principle you have, they are not worth time
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ki Yung Na
We have the same situation , I’m not even joking I didn’t remember the op. I just read a tiny part of the recent post you’ve written. And I’m pretty sure I remember the gist of it

Honestly. Some women, men as well. They aren’t worth time , not by any means. It doesn’t matter what religion or principle you have, they are not worth time

Original post by Smokestar
Here's my advice. Just because they are your parents doesn't give them some magical right to make your life hell. Be

Honestly just sever ties with them. Thats what im planning on doing with my parents when i go uni.

I always think that too, To just break ties. But at the same time I could never😫 it would be too difficult firstly I live with her and don’t have anywhere else to go, getting my own place is not easy and secondly despite the bad crap that happens, we don’t talk basically, it’s just her bickering and I’m trying to teach myself to just ignore it or play something so loud that I don’t hear it and get angry. I feel like she will never change and my swearing needs to stop, because I’ve realised the more I argue back, the argument just lasts longer when I could if just carried on ignoring her. It’s soo difficult tho. I do wish a better relationship with her but god only knows how. Talking to her is no help coz I’m not talking to her and it will only end up in another argument, even tho while not speaking with her we still get into arguments
I hope you all find ease too with your families
I hope you all find ease too with your families

It’s a life long struggle
I always think that too, To just break ties. But at the same time I could never😫 it would be too difficult firstly I live with her and don’t have anywhere else to go, getting my own place is not easy and secondly despite the bad crap that happens, we don’t talk basically, it’s just her bickering and I’m trying to teach myself to just ignore it or play something so loud that I don’t hear it and get angry. I feel like she will never change and my swearing needs to stop, because I’ve realised the more I argue back, the argument just lasts longer when I could if just carried on ignoring her. It’s soo difficult tho. I do wish a better relationship with her but god only knows how. Talking to her is no help coz I’m not talking to her and it will only end up in another argument, even tho while not speaking with her we still get into arguments

You have to see it as nature, it is just the way it is,

I’m not going to say be positive, I can see you are doing that because you are looking for a solution, nothing will solve it aside from her changing her ways

You don’t necessarily have to move out at all, it is possible to deal with it as a resident of the same home

It just means you are a bit reserved as a result, it maybe that extroversion is threatening to her because it means that you are more likely to gain independence faster (some parents genuinely fear a child gaining complete independence)

Keep going, do your part for your life so that when situations are favourable, you are the one to win longer term
Reply 35
Sister i feel your pain. However dont drive yourself to madness. Some people are wired like this. Also there is alot of repetitive advice given to people like us. I dont agree with the cutting of ties as it goes against Allah s.w. command however I myself have done this and it has given me peace. The better tactic is :1:biggrin:ont get upset as your anger fuels them. (Think of the creatures from Pitch Black :the more light they see the hungrier they become.2:Preserve yourself:meaning love and appreciate the way you expect your mother to do. Remember yiu are not your mother.3:colone:xplore all the spaces your mother doesn't occupy. Meaning live your life.My mother was absent since I was 8 years old ,I'm now 38 . She behaves as if she was raised and was present the whole time. She was telephone mother.My mom is also very uneducated,she lacks discipline,no culture,my mom is very ignorant. If you truly care about Allah. Ask yourself this.Who pleases the creator out of you too.Also there is so many lesson to learn from this experience however YOU TOO have discipline. I'm not going to tell what you need to be grateful for or not however BE the adult and the mature one in your relationship. Also im very sorry to and anyone going to through this including myself. However if this the test I've been prescribed,OK bring it on AlhamdulilALLAH. Take care of yourselves
Original post by Lii83
Sister i feel your pain. However dont drive yourself to madness. Some people are wired like this. Also there is alot of repetitive advice given to people like us. I dont agree with the cutting of ties as it goes against Allah s.w. command however I myself have done this and it has given me peace. The better tactic is :1:biggrin:ont get upset as your anger fuels them. (Think of the creatures from Pitch Black :the more light they see the hungrier they become.2:Preserve yourself:meaning love and appreciate the way you expect your mother to do. Remember yiu are not your mother.3:colone:xplore all the spaces your mother doesn't occupy. Meaning live your life.My mother was absent since I was 8 years old ,I'm now 38 . She behaves as if she was raised and was present the whole time. She was telephone mother.My mom is also very uneducated,she lacks discipline,no culture,my mom is very ignorant. If you truly care about Allah. Ask yourself this.Who pleases the creator out of you too.Also there is so many lesson to learn from this experience however YOU TOO have discipline. I'm not going to tell what you need to be grateful for or not however BE the adult and the mature one in your relationship. Also im very sorry to and anyone going to through this including myself. However if this the test I've been prescribed,OK bring it on AlhamdulilALLAH. Take care of yourselves

Original post by Ki Yung Na
You have to see it as nature, it is just the way it is,

I’m not going to say be positive, I can see you are doing that because you are looking for a solution, nothing will solve it aside from her changing her ways

You don’t necessarily have to move out at all, it is possible to deal with it as a resident of the same home

It just means you are a bit reserved as a result, it maybe that extroversion is threatening to her because it means that you are more likely to gain independence faster (some parents genuinely fear a child gaining complete independence)

Keep going, do your part for your life so that when situations are favourable, you are the one to win longer term

Thank you guys! It’s true I’ve come to believe that my mother is just wired like this and there is nothing anyone of us can do. It’s up to us to us tolerate it for the time being instead of cutting her off. This is impossible to do in my family/culture. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut when she is shouting because me swearing and arguing back on adds more fuel to the fire. It’s going to be tough but I can only trust in god and just pray for patience. I wish you all the best of health and strength to deal with issues especially with your parents
I know this was 8 months ago, but I'm in the same boat. The best advice I can give (since you live with her but I have the advantage of getting a small relief since I'm away for uni but I still get guilt tripped, financially threatened and the whole lot) is if you're serious about your healing do some reading on toxic parenting. Recognise what that is, and how these things your toxic parents put you through aren't your fault. I warn you about your mental health because the sooner you try to heal (not everyone can afford therapy) the better you can ward off the worst effects. If you continue like this, like allowing yourself to be religiously guilt tripped and constantly having to bring in your own faults when you're talking about your parent abusing you (verbal abuse is just as bad as physically beating) these are all symptoms of defense, and internalising gaslighting. There are lots of free books on toxic parenting, take some time, do some reading, learn how to forgive yourself for 'reacting' because it's not your actions. Allah is merciful, just, and logical. I pray you find your way out of this torment.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you guys! It’s true I’ve come to believe that my mother is just wired like this and there is nothing anyone of us can do. It’s up to us to us tolerate it for the time being instead of cutting her off. This is impossible to do in my family/culture. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut when she is shouting because me swearing and arguing back on adds more fuel to the fire. It’s going to be tough but I can only trust in god and just pray for patience. I wish you all the best of health and strength to deal with issues especially with your parents

Forgive yourself. This is not the way of Islam to just allow yourself to be oppressed. We have come too far from the spirit of Islam, this isnt right. You can try to keep your mouth shut, but your internal instability, your shame, guilt, and loneliness at not being heard was not supposed to be there. You most likely have a either an anxious preoccupied personality or detached as defense, these are the harmful effects of long term verbal and emotional abuse, at hands of an emtionally immature and unavailable guardian who wasn't there for you when they're supposed to. Please, I urge you. Not everyone will understand your situation, learn to untangle the dam of internalised guilt, this is not your fault. You don't have to list the actions you did wrong when youre speaking your truth. You have the ability to discern right from wrong, to recount events and feelings as they happened to you without having to be validated by a 3rd party. And you have done so well so far even as your guardian has failed you. This was a sacred responsibility from Allah to your parent. Like I suggested, do some reading on psychology, try to provide self therapy. InshAllah you can find your way, I agree you can't change anyone, but you must change your perspective, for your well being and your future. Your time on earth is precious and your existence and feelings are just as valid as an independent individual, as anybody else.
You definitely aren't alone in dealing with a toxic narcassistic mother and I can relate so much to you.Islamically, of course we should always avoid arguing back or even raising our voices to our parents. Patience is key with everything in life but a lot of the time it is easier said than done.It is easy for a lot of people to sit here and tell you that you shouldn't do this or that and it is all good advice but, do not let that take away from your suffering and allow it to make you feel invalidated.You aren't to blame for your mothers behaviour; all you can do is try your best to be in control of yourself. Like you said, if you give her the reaction she craves, she will win every time. Narcassists love attention, feeling superior, playing victim etc. It is usually because of some sort or trauma or abuse they have suffered from or their parents were narcassistic/toxic in some way as well. It is still not an excuse for how they are and it never will be. They never accept responsibility for anything and in their head, they are never the problem - everyone else is.My mum will do the same thing, give half the story and make me out to be the 'bad daughter' and I definitely am far from perfect, I can accept that. It doesn't help your self esteem or confidence at all when they make nasty comments and even go as far as commenting on what kind of muslim you are - since when are they God?It is so unbelievably difficult to have any sort of civil discussion and it will usually just lead to an argument because they are so stubborn and so set on having their way.I wouldn't advise to cut your mum off completely but set boundaries e.g. how much time you spend around her, if it seems like shes fishing for a fight then just leave the house if possible/plug your headphones in and zone out completely.I went as far as never speaking to my mum for over a year although we live under the same room, I still felt on edge and anxious but a whole lot less because I didn't have to listen to the toxic words or deal with the toxic behaviour; feel like I made a mistake by giving it another go and speaking to her again because now I can see her negative thoughts/behaviours re-emerging and I have been in this horrible cycle with her for years.I am wanting to move out at this point, for the sake of my mental health because it is honestly so soul destroying to live with such a person. I don't remember the last time I felt genuine happiness. Although God tests us with many different things, it doesn't mean you should force yourself to stay with someone who is causing this much aggro and potentially could influence you to become toxic as well, I definitely feel I have become like my mum in some ways and I hate that.If you have the means, move out - still come see your mum and keep the relationship but boundaries and space is the only way to protect yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending