amybum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is this true? And if so, wouldn't it be better to go to a less competitive medical school rather than aiming for somewhere like Oxbridge?
I am currently stuck between ucl and Birmingham but after learning about this fact, Birmingham seems to appeal more to me. I hope nobody takes this as me saying that Birmingham students aren't good but ucl is known to be fairly competitive and one of the best in the world.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by amybum)
Is this true? And if so, wouldn't it be better to go to a less competitive medical school rather than aiming for somewhere like Oxbridge?
I am currently stuck between ucl and Birmingham but after learning about this fact, Birmingham seems to appeal more to me. I hope nobody takes this as me saying that Birmingham students aren't good but ucl is known to be fairly competitive and one of the best in the world.
Yes you will be - but only once, for the foundation programme applications.

Obviously if you're aiming for honours it's the same principle.

https://foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/f...sure-epm-faqs/

The EPM is a measure of clinical and non-clinical skills, knowledge and performance up to the point of application. The EPM comprises two elements: medical school performance in deciles for which 34-43 points are available, and educational achievements, which are worth up to 7 points. A maximum of 50 points can be awarded for the EPM.

- How does the medical school calculate my decile score?

Each UK medical school agrees with its students which assessments it will include in this measure. This element of the EPM is known as the EPM decile score. If you are in the first decile (the top 10% of your year), you will receive a score of 43; if you are in the second decile, your score will be 42; the third decile 41 and so on. Students in the tenth decile will receive 34 points.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by amybum)
I mean, if you want to use doctors' exam results as a proxy for how 'conpetitive' it is, Birmingham is barely different to UCL. UCL is 4th average 80.1% pass rate, Birmingham 5th 76.7%.

UCL does tend to score well on the other aspects of the foundation program applicant scoring (e.g. on the SJT) too. Sometimes they outperform Oxbridge on the average scores.

But the other consideration is: this might all be different by the time you graduate. We've got the UKMLE at minimum to shake things up in a couple years time, who knows what they will do after that.

I'd go to the place you want to go to.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yeah it is true. You are ranked against your cohort when it comes to Foundation Programme applications. It is a completely unfair system which most obviously disadvantages Oxbridge medical students.
Spencer Wells
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You're also [at UCL at least] ranked against the entire cohort for each and every exam you sit, and the pass mark for exams will be based on the average cohort performance (pass mark is set using the modified Angoff method adjusted to the mean score minus one SD). This means that every 4 to 6 weeks you'll be told which centile of the class you're in, which is a way to benchmark your own performance. Practically though it's not going to make much of a difference whether you're in a 'smart' cohort or a 'dumb' one.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
This means that every 4 to 6 weeks you'll be told which centile of the class you're in...
Holy **** that's intense.
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
You're also [at UCL at least] ranked against the entire cohort for each and every exam you sit, and the pass mark for exams will be based on the average cohort performance (pass mark is set using the modified Angoff method adjusted to the mean score minus one SD). This means that every 4 to 6 weeks you'll be told which centile of the class you're in, which is a way to benchmark your own performance. Practically though it's not going to make much of a difference whether you're in a 'smart' cohort or a 'dumb' one.
This doesn't happen at all med schools, for anyone reading who think that sounds awful. Yes all med schools rank you, they have to for foundation programme applications, but they don't necessarily make as big a deal of it as this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (29)
27.36%
Less motivated (77)
72.64%

Watched Threads