Piercing headache

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So up until recently I've always been a happy jolly person but lately I have been having piercing headache after results day whenever i think about my degree.

After lockdown started, i sat the ucat along with my driving theory (end of july to start of august) because I was so bored and just wanted to do things to kill time. Ended up passing theory and got a decent 645 average and sjt band 2 and was ready to head onto my first year at uni (studying audiology at Manchester mainly due to patient care and lowish requirements). After getting A*A*A*, one of my relatives said "you sure you won't have any regrets not trying for med with these grades" and that's when my problems started.

Everytime med is mentioned i start getting headaches thinking to myself "man am i gonna regret not doing it" or "i'm going to be looked down upon for not taking med"~ because I've already enrolled onto the course. I don't want to be that dude that takes some easy route only to later regret for not taking a harder option because my academics have always been top notch. Then there's a small part of me that doesn't want to take a gapyear and wants to get the degree over and done with.

How do i stop ****ing up my brain? Thanks for reading and any advice will help immensely
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
See your GP for your headaches.

Don't do medicine for the "respect" or because you don't want to be "looked down"; but equally you shouldn't do what you don't want to do - audiology.

The usual advice from us at the Medicine forum is - if your heart is set on medicine, don't just do a random degree with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine. It'll take longer, cost more and be much more competitive compared to doing a gap year and reapply to stndard undergrad medicine.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
See your GP for your headaches.

Don't do medicine for the "respect" or because you don't want to be "looked down"; but equally you shouldn't do what you don't want to do - audiology.

The usual advice from us at the Medicine forum is - if your heart is set on medicine, don't just do a random degree with the sole aim to do graduate entry medicine. It'll take longer, cost more and be much more competitive compared to doing a gap year and reapply to stndard undergrad medicine.
You see though, I don't want to be looked down upon and want to feel respected. My heart isn't settled on anything, I have always only ever wanted to get the best grades and put my head down into academics without a sense of direction or particular aim because my family only ever enforced education, never occupations
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You see though, I don't want to be looked down upon and want to feel respected. My heart isn't settled on anything, I have always only ever wanted to get the best grades and put my head down into academics without a sense of direction or particular aim because my family only ever enforced education, never occupations
Why do you care so much for what others think of you? If you carry on trying to be respected in their eyes or whatever you'll only continue to cause yourself issues, it's not worth it. Do what you love because you love it. Don't go into something like medicine for the sole reason of wanting respect, it's an incredibly stressful job as you will find out from various people on here.
paub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ask yourself what will you be happy with. do that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (32)
20.51%
No (124)
79.49%

Watched Threads