The Student Room Group

Everyone meeting up for drinks

Everyone in my uni groupchat is arranging to meet up for drinks at a pub and go on a night out before the course starts and it's making me so scared. I'm Muslim and don't drink and I scared that when I start they will all know each other and be friends and I won't have anyone similar to me. I'm not moving out either so I can't make friends with flat mates. My uni barely has any societies as well so I'm doomed to make no friends.

Scroll to see replies

Why not go with them but drink non alcoholic drinks instead?!? Plenty of people don’t drink alcohol at university and although there is a drinking culture, people will accept you and your reasons for not wanting to drink.
Reply 2
Original post by MikeOksmall
Why not go with them but drink non alcoholic drinks instead?!? Plenty of people don’t drink alcohol at university and although there is a drinking culture, people will accept you and your reasons for not wanting to drink.

I don't want to be and I'm not allowed to be in the night club environment. I'm normally home by 8 pm at latest and I will try to push that to 10 when I go uni but they start getting ready to go out at 8pm so I think unis going to be a struggle to make friends.
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone in my uni groupchat is arranging to meet up for drinks at a pub and go on a night out before the course starts and it's making me so scared. I'm Muslim and don't drink and I scared that when I start they will all know each other and be friends and I won't have anyone similar to me. I'm not moving out either so I can't make friends with flat mates. My uni barely has any societies as well so I'm doomed to make no friends.

You can still make friends, their will be inclusive groups where drinking isn't part of it.
Also people should be respectful, for example you can still join them out & just get lemonade.
Go and drink orange juice. No one will even realise as you’re all focused on your conversations.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
You can still make friends, their will be inclusive groups where drinking isn't part of it.
Also people should be respectful, for example you can still join them out & just get lemonade.

Original post by Morebalanation
Go and drink orange juice. No one will even realise as you’re all focused on your conversations.

I have to be home by 8 and they all start to get ready to go out at this time. I haven't been allowed out with friends since the start of quarantine in March as well.
I have to be home by 8 and they all start to get ready to go out at this time. I haven't been allowed out with friends since the start of quarantine in March as well.

well as an adult at uni you'll need to decide if you want to keep that schedule or adapt.
Try to get your parents to be more lenient as you are at uni. If not try to arrange coffee or something with some members in the day.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
well as an adult at uni you'll need to decide if you want to keep that schedule or adapt.

If I did they would probably kick me out and tell me to go stay in accommodation and I prefer to be financially comfortable and don't want to move out when I'm only a 20 min drive from uni. It's always hard to bring this conversation up things just get heated and then we don't talk for weeks so I don't know how to approach it.

Original post by Morebalanation
Try to get your parents to be more lenient as you are at uni. If not try to arrange coffee or something with some members in the day.

As above. It will be next to impossible to.
If I did they would probably kick me out and tell me to go stay in accommodation and I prefer to be financially comfortable and don't want to move out when I'm only a 20 min drive from uni. It's always hard to bring this conversation up things just get heated and then we don't talk for weeks so I don't know how to approach it.

At 18 they have to be more realistic.
Societies are mostly in the evening.
What if you end up working in the library till 1am...
Reply 10
Go with them and order a non alcoholic drink instead! I love a glass of coca cola, or you could ask for tonic water, raspberry lemonade, lime and soda, etc. I'm sure there's a soft drink or other carbonated drink you enjoy.
Original post by mnot
At 18 they have to be more realistic.
Societies are mostly in the evening.
What if you end up working in the library till 1am...

Idk it's harder because I have an older sister who's completed her degree and she was home by 8 everyday so if I went out a lot or came back late I would get in trouble and would be looked at as a party girl. It's also about what they think others will think of them if they're daughters are coming home late. I think it's going to cause a lot of upset and problems when I start uni and their will be a lot of arguments.
dude one of the most sociable person I know doesn't drink, he still comes out with us he just gets fizzy drinks. Its fine, you'll fit in easy bro.
Idk it's harder because I have an older sister who's completed her degree and she was home by 8 everyday so if I went out a lot or came back late I would get in trouble and would be looked at as a party girl. It's also about what they think others will think of them if they're daughters are coming home late. I think it's going to cause a lot of upset and problems when I start uni and their will be a lot of arguments.

Sounds very controlling.
As an adult you should have more freedom, but ultimately you have to decide.
Original post by Deggs_14
Go with them and order a non alcoholic drink instead! I love a glass of coca cola, or you could ask for tonic water, raspberry lemonade, lime and soda, etc. I'm sure there's a soft drink or other carbonated drink you enjoy.

Original post by Koreaboo
dude one of the most sociable person I know doesn't drink, he still comes out with us he just gets fizzy drinks. Its fine, you'll fit in easy bro.

I have to be home by 8 and they all start to get ready to go out at this time. I haven't been allowed out with friends since the start of quarantine in March. If I did go out and stay with friends till late like normal uni students do they would probably kick me out and tell me to go stay in accommodation and I prefer to be financially comfortable and don't want to move out when I'm only a 20 min drive from uni.also my uni doesn't guarantee accommodation for any who lives closer than 10 miles It's always hard to bring this conversation up things just get heated and then we don't talk for weeks so I don't know how to approach it.
Original post by mnot
Sounds very controlling.
As an adult you should have more freedom, but ultimately you have to decide.

Yeah I know I should have it but it's a matter of sacrificing my relationship with my parents for it and I don't want to do that.
I have to be home by 8 and they all start to get ready to go out at this time. I haven't been allowed out with friends since the start of quarantine in March. If I did go out and stay with friends till late like normal uni students do they would probably kick me out and tell me to go stay in accommodation and I prefer to be financially comfortable and don't want to move out when I'm only a 20 min drive from uni.also my uni doesn't guarantee accommodation for any who lives closer than 10 miles It's always hard to bring this conversation up things just get heated and then we don't talk for weeks so I don't know how to approach it

you could try to sneak out, that's my plan this year because im staying at home and my parents are controlling narcissists af. Just make sure u leave when they asleep and meet up with ur friends latter.
Original post by Koreaboo
you could try to sneak out, that's my plan this year because im staying at home and my parents are controlling narcissists af. Just make sure u leave when they asleep and meet up with ur friends latter.

My parents don't go sleep early and we have cameras everywhere and a ring door bell which notifies them when someone leaves the house or enters.
Bump
My parents don't go sleep early and we have cameras everywhere and a ring door bell which notifies them when someone leaves the house or enters.

my parents go to bed at 12, they work pretty late. most people don't go out until like 12. Pres even start at like 10/11. If I were u just study your home layout and parents sleeping time to find the best time to sneak out.

Quick Reply

Latest