pondering-soul
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
can someone help me please

why does the sign change, why is it -k instead of +k as shown in the question?

thanks for any help

sorry messed up attachments mb mb ignore the chemistry one
Attached files
Last edited by pondering-soul; 1 week ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you've messed up your attachments...
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  modulusk.png
Views: 5
Size:  40.6 KB

the simplest way is to draw the graph of y = | 2x - 11 |... it is V shaped.

then draw the graph y = 0.5x on top.

now draw other lines parallel to y = 0.5x and see how many times they meet the V shaped graph
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can also square both sides and turn it into a typical 'set discriminant >0' question.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by the bear)
Name:  modulusk.png
Views: 5
Size:  40.6 KB

the simplest way is to draw the graph of y = | 2x - 11 |... it is V shaped.

then draw the graph y = 0.5x on top.

now draw other lines parallel to y = 0.5x and see how many times they meet the V shaped graph
This is the best approach, but if you want an answer as quickly as possible:

It's enough to *sketch* the y = |2x-11| and a couple of sample lines y = 0.5x + k; the only thing you really need to "get right" are the coordinates of the point A where y = |2x-11| changes direction and that 2x has a bigger gradient than 0.5x.

It's obvious that the change between "more than one root" and "no roots" occurs when y=0.5x + k goes through A, and it's fairly obvious whether you need k to be bigger or smaller than this critical value.

I really don't like "square the modulus" approaches because they totally fail to scale to more difficult problems.

Edit: (and in case it's not clear, you only need the sketches to justify the answer. It's entirely possible to do the minimal calculations required to solve this mentally and just write down the answer).
Last edited by DFranklin; 1 week ago
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
This is the best approach, but if you want an answer as quickly as possible:

It's enough to *sketch* the y = |2x-11| and a couple of sample lines y = 0.5x + k; the only thing you really need to "get right" are the coordinates of the point A where y = |2x-11| changes direction and that 2x has a bigger gradient than 0.5x.

It's obvious that the change between "more than one root" and "no roots" occurs when y=0.5x + k goes through A, and it's fairly obvious whether you need k to be bigger or smaller than this critical value.

I really don't like "square the modulus" approaches because they totally fail to scale to more difficult problems.

Edit: (and in case it's not clear, you only need the sketches to justify the answer. It's entirely possible to do the minimal calculations required to solve this mentally and just write down the answer).
diagrams help in all kinds of math questions :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (29)
26.61%
Less motivated (80)
73.39%

Watched Threads