The Student Room Group

The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kitty1303
Hi I took a gap year and applied this year with the following stats
Alevel grades - AAA (after sitting autumn exams however autumn was an appeal so not considered as a resit)
Alevel predicted is A*AA
Ucat this year was 2500
Gcse 998887777 A in business studies and A* in level 2 further maths
I am hoping to retake chemistry in summer exams to get it to an A* so that I can reapply to kings with hopefully a higher ucat score.
Do you think I stand a chance with kings?

I don’t think KCL accept resits - double check.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I don’t think KCL accept resits - double check.

I checked by I don’t know what they mean because they say that if you had an offer in 2020 you had to do the AUTUMN OR SUMMER EXAMS like you were only allowed to do either but I know people in previous years who applied in the following year to retake in summer because they didn’t achieve grades first time around.
I checked by I don’t know what they mean because they say that if you had an offer in 2020 you had to do the AUTUMN OR SUMMER EXAMS like you were only allowed to do either but I know people in previous years who applied in the following year to retake in summer because they didn’t achieve grades first time around.

I am really confused because I recently got my offer withdrawn from Plymouth due to an administrative error and really want to do dentistry so I am considering taking a second gap year but I can’t afford to not get in next year and I want it all to be worth it so I need help :frown:
I am really confused because I recently got my offer withdrawn from Plymouth due to an administrative error and really want to do dentistry so I am considering taking a second gap year but I can’t afford to not get in next year and I want it all to be worth it so I need help :frown:

I hope I made it clear would it be possible for you to check kcl undergrad resit policy please

I hope I made it clear would it be possible for you to check kcl undergrad resit policy please

As far as I know, KCL don’t accept resits and their “Autumn or summer” indicates you only had one chance in either. I would contact their admissions team to double check but it does seem as though they won’t accept your application unfortunately :frown:

However, there are other dental schools which accept resits so not all hope is lost.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
As far as I know, KCL don’t accept resits and their “Autumn or summer” indicates you only had one chance in either. I would contact their admissions team to double check but it does seem as though they won’t accept your application unfortunately :frown:

However, there are other dental schools which accept resits so not all hope is lost.

I really don’t know because all other universities even this year have very high ucat cut-off scores. Even universities that don’t look at ucat much in previous years which is a shame.
I really don’t know because all other universities even this year have very high ucat cut-off scores. Even universities that don’t look at ucat much in previous years which is a shame.

I am really scared about risking another year out but I really do want to study dentistry. I don’t know, do you have any recommendations ?
If you do not meet the conditions in Autumn exams, you are still welcome to apply to King’s for the same and/or a different programme, however, we cannot guarantee an offer and the application will be assessed alongside this year’s cohort of King’s applicants. If you receive an offer, you would need to meet the conditions of the offer by the stated offer deadline in August 2021 in order to confirm your place.
According to this I have a chance dont I if I sit exams in summer, achieve A*AA then apply. I know any university is amazing but after my rejection this year I want it all to be worth it and would love to go kings.
That’s why I am asking and I have contacted the university about it too. I know I am being too hopeful but just going to try !

Kings have a heavy weighting on UCAT - usually 680+

I am really scared about risking another year out but I really do want to study dentistry. I don’t know, do you have any recommendations ?

If you do not meet the conditions in Autumn exams, you are still welcome to apply to King’s for the same and/or a different programme, however, we cannot guarantee an offer and the application will be assessed alongside this year’s cohort of King’s applicants. If you receive an offer, you would need to meet the conditions of the offer by the stated offer deadline in August 2021 in order to confirm your place.
According to this I have a chance dont I if I sit exams in summer, achieve A*AA then apply. I know any university is amazing but after my rejection this year I want it all to be worth it and would love to go kings.
That’s why I am asking and I have contacted the university about it too. I know I am being too hopeful but just going to try !

Okay this sounds like they'll accept another application - I would just contact them and check to be sure.
If you've been rejected from all your universities, you'll have to redo your UCAT anyway for the next cycle so I don't think that should deter you from applying elsewhere.

Taking another gap year to reapply >>>>>> doing another degree and trying for graduate entry. Graduate entry is many many times more competitive, so if your aim is still dentistry, it's always better to just take another gap year and reapply.
Original post by RA:)
You have a good set of GCSE’s, but there will still be applicants that have all A*/8/9 grades so I would probably advise against applying to universities such as Cardiff where applicants with straight A*’s have been rejected in previous years.

It helps to have a good UCAT score so just keep at it, with more practice you’ll eventually start producing good results.

Remember most universities do not read through your PS or only check through to make sure there are no red flags so I wouldn’t overthink it too much. The WExp you have done so far sounds pretty good, and as long as you can reflect well on these experiences it seems as though you’ll have a lot to talk about when interviews come around.

Being confident at interview is always great, but overconfidence can come across as arrogant or cocky so I would keep that in mind when the time comes. I wouldn’t think about interviews just yet anyway, you’ve still got to do your UCAT/BMAT and send off your application!

Like I said before, PS is rarely read these days so what you have already got sounds good enough. Your UCAT score will play a big part into where you apply, so wait until you have your score, come back to this thread and people will recommend where would be best to apply :smile:

i need advice PLEASE, these are my GCSE results:
english language- 8
english literature- 7
history- 8
combined science- 7-7
maths- 6
arabic- 5
creative i- media- L2D (grade 8)
sports- L2D (grade 8)
GENERALLY SPEAKING IF I DO GOOD IN ALEVELS INTERVIEWS ETF, DO YOU THINK I CAN GET INTO DENTISTRY?? im stressing so much
(i feel like a B in maths (6) may deny me a space but the requirements are 6 and 7 idk what to do
Reply 370
Original post by ghostface300
i need advice PLEASE, these are my GCSE results:
english language- 8
english literature- 7
history- 8
combined science- 7-7
maths- 6
arabic- 5
creative i- media- L2D (grade 8)
sports- L2D (grade 8)
GENERALLY SPEAKING IF I DO GOOD IN ALEVELS INTERVIEWS ETF, DO YOU THINK I CAN GET INTO DENTISTRY?? im stressing so much
(i feel like a B in maths (6) may deny me a space but the requirements are 6 and 7 idk what to do

This is the ‘which medical school should I apply to’ thread, I personally don’t know anything about dentistry entry requirements. General advice would be to check each universities individual requirements and if you have any questions specific to your circumstances email the admissions departments :smile:
Original post by RA:)
This is the ‘which medical school should I apply to’ thread, I personally don’t know anything about dentistry entry requirements. General advice would be to check each universities individual requirements and if you have any questions specific to your circumstances email the admissions departments :smile:

doesnt every1 who applies have all 9s? also are my grades good enough for medicine
Hi all

What unis look favourable on achieved than predicted?

I’m looking for a dental school with these grades. Am i good enough for any?!?!

A levels: AAA + A* EPQ - achieved
GCSES 99888888 7 (English lit) 6 (RS)

UCAT
VR:570
DM:640
QR: 730
AR:670
Band 2

I dont want to be toxic, but i dont know why - are these grades fairly average/below average for a dental applicant?

In addition, with A*AA predicted be looked more favourably on that AAA achieved?

@Mesopotamian.
(edited 2 years ago)
Can you use predicted grades when applying even if you have achieved grades?
Cheers :smile:

Didnt even know this thread existed!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, Which unis give preference to achieved A levels rather than predicted and also A*s rather than As?I did really bad in UCAT- score 550, band 2. I have 3A*s for A-Levels, and 9s and 8s for GCSEs, A* EPQ and carried out a lot of work experience. Which unis should I consider for dentistry? I am thinking of also doing the BMAT for Leeds. Currently thinking of applying to unis that use holistic approach e.g. Manchester, Bristol, Queens Belfast, QMUL, Cardiff, Plymouth, Liverpool. Any advice?
When I try accessing the link, it takes me to this same forum
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by xcxvb1234
Hi, Which unis give preference to achieved A levels rather than predicted and also A*s rather than As?I did really bad in UCAT- score 550, band 2. I have 3A*s for A-Levels, and 9s and 8s for GCSEs, A* EPQ and carried out a lot of work experience. Which unis should I consider for dentistry? I am thinking of also doing the BMAT for Leeds. Currently thinking of applying to unis that use holistic approach e.g. Manchester, Bristol, Queens Belfast, QMUL, Cardiff, Plymouth, Liverpool. Any advice?
When I try accessing the link, it takes me to this same forum

Plymouth had a 2290 cutoff last year.Bristol would be a massive risk as they do weight the ucat quite highly.QUB have points system and you would need pretty high results to make up for you're lower ucat.
Cardiff consider the whole application but it would help to have a higher ucat.
Not sure about Liverpool but I would presume it would be difficult... same goes for Manchester.
Personally I would suggest you do the BMAT and score as high as possible and try applying for Leeds.
But also phone the universities and email admissions to get their opinion.
You got this!
What was Newcastle’s UCAT cutoff for 2021 entry?
Reply 378
GCSEs: 9999988887
Predicted: A*AA (A* in EPQ)
UCAT: 2610 B2
I want to apply to KCL and QMUL. Which other universities should I consider to have more chance of getting a place?
GCSEs: 999888877
A Level predictions: A*AA
UCAT: 2560 (640 av) and band 2 sjt
So obviously I flopped in the UCAT and want to make sure I apply to unis which focus less on the UCAT. Any advice on where to apply strategically?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest