The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Russell Group unis for BSc, MSc and PhD = Success?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mnot
Id imagine your thesis, and any papers you've published, and the focus of the research groups you wish to work in will be much more significant then going to a RG. If your department is well regarded in your field that is beneficial but ultimately your personal performance is what's most relevant.

Although I find it hard to believe a PhD graduate would feel the need to ask this question.

This.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Anonymous
It's not a question a well qualified academic would ask, or need to ask.At least not one that had confidence in their ability.

I am afraid you sound jealous. Read the thread question and first post again, and respond accordingly.
I am afraid you sound jealous. Read the thread question and first post again, and respond accordingly.

Your not a PhD, this whole thread is frankly rather odd.
The way you react to such a point shows its your feathers which have been ruffled.
I am afraid you sound jealous. Read the thread question and first post again...

Yes, everyone is jealous of some anonymous dude on the internet, claiming stuff that is not verifiable.
Okey dokey, to play along, assuming that the limited information you have given is true, taking into consideration that you do not have a PhD and there are tens, even hundreds of thousands of people with similar profiles. You are not very successful. It is not admirable. It is very run of the mill.
Yes, everyone is jealous of some anonymous dude on the internet, claiming stuff that is not verifiable.
Okey dokey, to play along, assuming that the limited information you have given is true, taking into consideration that you do not have a PhD and there are tens, even hundreds of thousands of people with similar profiles. You are not very successful. It is not admirable. It is very run of the mill.

Clue - try to make replies logical.
Original post by mnot
Your not a PhD, this whole thread is frankly rather odd.
The way you react to such a point shows its your feathers which have been ruffled.

Answer the question set, rather than the one you are asking yourself. Read the thread title and first post again.

Frankly, there is nothing impressive of going to a russell group university when you can get into one with CCC for undergrad, 2:2 for postgrad (not that grades actually reflect someone's ability but uni snobs say otherwise), and self-funding your PhD, and more so when the russell group itself is a self-selecting political lobby group with no quality controls in itself.

https://www.nottingham.edu.my/Study/Undergraduate-courses/Faculty-of-Arts-and-Social-Sciences/Foundation-Arts-and-Education.aspx
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/degrees/computer-science-msc/

Do you know what is one of the things that are actually impressive? People who have been following their passion since youth, for example, someone who developed and published his first video game in his teenage years. Or someone who traveled to remote villages in Africa to spread the word of God.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by V1ct0r
Frankly, there is nothing impressive of going to a russell group university when you can get into one with CCC for undergrad, 2:2 for postgrad (not that grades actually reflect someone's ability but uni snobs say otherwise), and self-funding your PhD, and more so when the russell group itself is a self-selecting political lobby group with no quality controls in itself.

https://www.nottingham.edu.my/Study/Undergraduate-courses/Faculty-of-Arts-and-Social-Sciences/Foundation-Arts-and-Education.aspx
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/degrees/computer-science-msc/

Do you know what is one of the things that are actually impressive? People who have been following their passion since youth, for example, someone who developed and published his first video game in his teenage years. Or someone who traveled to remote villages in Africa to spread the word of God.

Sounds like you have biiter feelings towards the Russell Group. On average, students from these universities score higher grades, and are more employable than those graduating from elsewhere.Getting places at Russell Group universities at any level of degree is generally quite competitive.
Sounds like you have biiter feelings towards the Russell Group. On average, students from these universities score higher grades, and are more employable than those graduating from elsewhere.Getting places at Russell Group universities at any level of degree is generally quite competitive.

What is so competitive about getting CCC in A levels?
Original post by V1ct0r
What is so competitive about getting CCC in A levels?

In which subject, and at which university? Other than Liverpool, and perhaps 1-2 others, who is going to take less than BBC?
Reply 30
Does the fact that I attended Russell Group unis for all three of my degrees mean that I am a success? Is it admirable, or just the run of the mill?

It's a great achievement and admirable (although not necessarily because of the RG label).

As a PhD is really just the start of your career, it would be premature to be talking about "success" in a professional sense. A better description would be that you have made a 'great start'.
Original post by RV3112
It's a great achievement and admirable (although not necessarily because of the RG label).

As a PhD is really just the start of your career, it would be premature to be talking about "success" in a professional sense. A better description would be that you have made a 'great start'.

At last, a sensible and logical post. Not sure why this thread seemed to attract disgruntled trolls previously.
In which subject, and at which university? Other than Liverpool, and perhaps 1-2 others, who is going to take less than BBC?

I gave you a link. I'm going to put it here again.

It's for a foundation degree at the Malaysian campus of the University of Nottingham. It asks for CCC.

Their standard offer for an MEng in mechanical engineering is also BBB, which is even lower than what my university (Oxford Brookes) asks for (ABB). And based on anecdoctal evidence from Reddit, a couple of students get in with grades like ACC.
Original post by V1ct0r

It's for a foundation degree at the Malaysian campus of the University of Nottingham. It asks for CCC.

Their standard offer for an MEng in mechanical engineering is also BBB, which is even lower than what my university (Oxford Brookes) asks for (ABB). And based on anecdoctal evidence from Reddit, a couple of students get in with grades like ACC.

That is in Malaysia. What has that got to do with anything here in the UK? Those campuses are only minority owned by Nottingham.
Original post by V1ct0r

This is drifting very off topic now. Im highly sceptical the OP is or has been on a PhD program.

The Malaysian campus essentially acts as an orbital campus and more in line with Malaysian unis, and a foundation degree is only a 1 or 2 year qualification that doesn't compare to a normal degree.

The average UK Notts mechanical BEng student achieves: AAB the average Brookes one achieves: BCD
Original post by mnot
This is drifting very off topic now. Im highly sceptical the OP is or has been on a PhD program.

The Malaysian campus essentially acts as an orbital campus and more in line with Malaysian unis, and a foundation degree is only a 1 or 2 year qualification that doesn't compare to a normal degree.

The average UK Notts mechanical BEng student achieves: AAB the average Brookes one achieves: BCD

I know. I just want to tell him that if some CCC guy out there somehow wanted a russell group degree, then he could fly to Malaysia, do an arts foundation, and enroll in the BA English Language and Literature course there, and get out with a russell group degree. Therefore, this proves that it is not super hard at all to get a RG degree.

IMO too much emphasis is put on 'RG' label. A PhD in itself is, as someone above has said, a great starting point to achieve great things, RG or not. The fact that by asking 'is doing bsc, msc, phd at RG an achievement', he's indirectly implying that every other PhD candidate out there who is not studying at a RG haven't achieved anything lmao.
(edited 3 years ago)
That is in Malaysia. What has that got to do with anything here in the UK? Those campuses are only minority owned by Nottingham.

You get the same russell group degree though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending