The Student Room Group

guy acting super weird or am i crazy?

I need advice from internet strangers.

There is this guy I am kind of crushing on at a certain activity. But he has been acting super weird and I am not sure how to react. To make the situation clear I haven't really talked with him other than the usual small talk when I said my name and just nothing out of the ordinary so we are basically strangers.
First off, when I was at this activity he was kind of walking around me and my friend but he never talked with us. My friend caught him checking me out with a sad look on his face but she could also be mistaken. He came up to say bye to his friend when we were talking with him but did not say goodbye to us ( rude?).
Next time the activity was being hosted I came and he walked right by me without saying hello. He was also offering people berries to eat and offered everyone but me ( my friend told him you should offer to *my name* but it looked like he froze and could not come up to me; when i walked up to them he offered but whilst looking down at the ground). It was also clear that he was avoiding eye contact with me at all costs even when we were talking in a group setting with me and his friend.
The last time I went he was standing 1 meter away from me and he again didnt say hi so I greeted him first. Later we went near his group of people and he kind of stood around went away to what appeared to be bushes ( the activity is outside) came back, stood around and went away. I have to mention that this is almost the 8th time I am there and he is usually chatty and social with everyone from my observations thus I am wondering why is he acting very avoidant to the point of it being rude.
It would almost appear that he cant stand me but he barely knows me and we chatted for like two minutes total and I would like to believe that I am genuinely a chill person so it wouldn't make any sense as there is no reason for the seeming hate.
Anyways I just wanted to hear unbiased insights from the internet!

Scroll to see replies

Best way to find out is to ask him one on one - but personally I think he likes you, acting out of character and nervous around you suggests he’s interested but maybe too nervous or doesn’t want to come across weird?
i think he likes you
Original post by Anonymous

There is this guy I am kind of crushing on at a certain activity. But he has been acting super weird and I am not sure how to react. To make the situation clear I haven't really talked with him other than the usual small talk when I said my name and just nothing out of the ordinary so we are basically strangers.
First off, when I was at this activity he was kind of walking around me and my friend but he never talked with us. My friend caught him checking me out with a sad look on his face but she could also be mistaken. He came up to say bye to his friend when we were talking with him but did not say goodbye to us ( rude?).
Next time the activity was being hosted I came and he walked right by me without saying hello. He was also offering people berries to eat and offered everyone but me ( my friend told him you should offer to *my name* but it looked like he froze and could not come up to me; when i walked up to them he offered but whilst looking down at the ground). It was also clear that he was avoiding eye contact with me at all costs even when we were talking in a group setting with me and his friend.
The last time I went he was standing 1 meter away from me and he again didnt say hi so I greeted him first. Later we went near his group of people and he kind of stood around went away to what appeared to be bushes ( the activity is outside) came back, stood around and went away. I have to mention that this is almost the 8th time I am there and he is usually chatty and social with everyone from my observations thus I am wondering why is he acting very avoidant to the point of it being rude.
It would almost appear that he cant stand me but he barely knows me and we chatted for like two minutes total and I would like to believe that I am genuinely a chill person so it wouldn't make any sense as there is no reason for the seeming hate.

Hmmm.

Indeed, he is acting rather strange.

Maybe he has feelings for you but doesn’t feel comfortable approaching you or is still undecided as to whether he should talk to you.

However, I cannot say this for sure because I don’t know how you act around him and if you ever implied to him that you have feelings for him through your demeanour. Essentially, I don’t really know how you react when you see him so can’t say for sure that the above is true.

Or maybe he does know that you like him and he doesn’t feel comfortable being around you for that reason. But I don’t personally think this is the reason why he is acting odd.

Does that help?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Nobodyy
Hmmm.

Indeed, he is acting rather strange.

Maybe he has feelings for you but doesn’t feel comfortable approaching you or is still undecided as to whether he should talk to you.

However, I cannot say this for sure because I don’t know how you act around him and if you ever implied to him that you have feelings for him through your demeanour. Essentially, I don’t really know how you react when you see him so can’t say for sure that the above is true.

Or maybe he does know that you like him and he doesn’t feel comfortable being around you for that reason. But I don’t personally think this is the reason why he is acting odd.

Does that help?

When i talked to him first time I was just nice and maintaining eye contact and I act around him just like I act around other people with maybe a bit more glances but nothing too suspicious. I actually interact with him less than with others because he is avoiding me so I have no idea how he could get that I like him. I asked my friend if Im giving off different vibes but she said that I act casual. I would understand if I had flirted with him but I didnt get the chance because he seems to be running away from me like I'm the plague.
Also during the initial convo he seemed to be talking fast and was blabbery in general and also he was lightly rocking side to side and was palming his fists so maybe these are signs of anxiousness but I am not sure.
When i talked to him first time I was just nice and maintaining eye contact and I act around him just like I act around other people with maybe a bit more glances but nothing too suspicious. I actually interact with him less than with others because he is avoiding me so I have no idea how he could get that I like him. I asked my friend if Im giving off different vibes but she said that I act casual. I would understand if I had flirted with him but I didnt get the chance because he seems to be running away from me like I'm the plague.
Also during the initial convo he seemed to be talking fast and was blabbery in general and also he was lightly rocking side to side and was palming his fists so maybe these are signs of anxiousness but I am not sure.

Makes sense now.

The guy likes you. He is really nervous and doesn’t want to make a fool of himself in front of you.

Also, I believe he is embarrassed with the way he has treated you so far but doesn’t know how to make up for it. That’s why he is prancing around and anxious about the thought of you speaking to him.
Reply 6
Original post by Nobodyy
Makes sense now.

The guy likes you. He is really nervous and doesn’t want to make a fool of himself in front of you.

Also, I believe he is embarrassed with the way he has treated you so far but doesn’t know how to make up for it. That’s why he is prancing around and anxious about the thought of you speaking to him.

I see. I'm not sure how to make him comfortable and not afraid to chat with me? The nervousness is cute at first but now it's just kind of frustrating and I am not sure how long before it becomes a complete turn off if he continues to act like this. I also feel like maybe I'm gaslighting myself to see some kind of signs which maybe are not there but my other friends that have been there also said it was weird af especially with the food thing and offering me without looking at my face for a brief second at least. So I'm not sure maybe I'm overanalyzing stuff but I want to talk to him nevertheless. Any ideas how to not make him get a panic attack hahaha?
Reply 7
help a girl out please haha
I see. I'm not sure how to make him comfortable and not afraid to chat with me? The nervousness is cute at first but now it's just kind of frustrating and I am not sure how long before it becomes a complete turn off if he continues to act like this. I also feel like maybe I'm gaslighting myself to see some kind of signs which maybe are not there but my other friends that have been there also said it was weird af especially with the food thing and offering me without looking at my face for a brief second at least. So I'm not sure maybe I'm overanalyzing stuff but I want to talk to him nevertheless. Any ideas how to not make him get a panic attack hahaha?

Hey again,

I think you should tell him that you like him and confess your feelings for him. Then, it will be easier for him to also confess his feelings for you.

If that doesn’t work, perhaps (after we are rid from the current health crisis) go out with him and a bunch of other friends somewhere fun like a bowling place, concert etc. This will put him more at ease.
Hi there
From what you wrote, I think he might actually like you, but is way too afraid to approach you. He might be shy, at least around you. Do not take the way he acts personally. He is self conscious when you are around and surely does not know what to do or how to act. I am sure that deep inside, he might feel bad for acting like that. We men can be awfully shy too when we like a girl you know.
I think maybe you should try to get his contact so that you can chat with him and try to know him better. Or you could tell one of his friends that you want to meet him somewhere to talk.
Thanks for all of your insights! I will try to talk with him if he doesn't run away and have a normal conversation and see how he behaves. I hope as time goes on he becomes more comfortable.
Thanks for all of your insights! I will try to talk with him if he doesn't run away and have a normal conversation and see how he behaves. I hope as time goes on he becomes more comfortable.

Best of luck!!

Hope it all works out for you. :smile:
Original post by Nobodyy
Best of luck!!

Hope it all works out for you. :smile:

thank you very much!

Yeah I think with time, he will get comfortable with you.
Hope that it works
Please keep us updated as soon as possible

looooooooooool. looks like he is an introvert or maybe he just has social anxiety. try to speak with him more, initiate a convo or just confront him about his weird behaviour

It could very well be that he fancies you like mad but this is making him act very shy around you and his rude and hostile attitude is just an extension of his shyness
thank you very much!

Take the lead and talk to the dude first, he probs doesn't know how to talk to someone he likes, also ask for his number or sc, it might be easier for him to talk when not physically face-to-face
looooooooooool. looks like he is an introvert or maybe he just has social anxiety. try to speak with him more, initiate a convo or just confront him about his weird behaviour

that's the weird part he is so social with everyone, has a lot of friends, plays in a band and does extreme sports not to mention he is very good looking and athletic! he also freely interacts with other girls and people as well so it really doesn't look like he has general social anxiety or girl anxiety. His demeanour reminds me of a restless puppy who goes around and talks with everyone a little ( except for me). So that is why the behaviour towards me is even more odd. If he was neutral towards me he would at least say hi or offer me the food hahahaha but now it's total avoidance or so it seems idk
that's the weird part he is so social with everyone, has a lot of friends, plays in a band and does extreme sports not to mention he is very good looking and athletic! he also freely interacts with other girls and people as well so it really doesn't look like he has general social anxiety or girl anxiety. His demeanour reminds me of a restless puppy who goes around and talks with everyone a little ( except for me). So that is why the behaviour towards me is even more odd. If he was neutral towards me he would at least say hi or offer me the food hahahaha but now it's total avoidance or so it seems idk

That's exactly what proves that he actually like you. Men can be shy around women they do like. When he is around you, he is self aware of the feelings he has toward you and surely cannot help but feel shy and intimidated.
You should try to get his phone number and chat with him to know him better.
Hey guys just wanted to update you on the whole situation ! Long story short he still actively avoids me but he did ask me to take a few pictures and send it to him later. He texted me the next day to remind me of the pictures and once I sent them to him I asked a few casual questions to which he answered with a voice message but he didn't try to further the conversation. He also did not friend me on fb. His voice in the voice message seemed a tiny bit arrogant as well. I do not think I'm going to pursue anything as it's kind of a turn off and he probably decided not to act on his attraction or he doesn't like me for some reason ( although who acts like that?). Just wanted to let you all know! cheers x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending