i don’t like my uni course...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
So it was my first day of Uni today and I already am not satisfied with my Film And TV Production course. We were just learning about different types of cameras or lenses and the modules don’t sound so exciting but also sound different to what was pitched to me on Open Days. I’m thinking of switching to the Creative Writing course at the same Uni but is it too early? How many days or weeks should I give this course first? How easy is it to switch course at the same Uni anyways?

P.S: I want to be a screenwriter.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
So it was my first day of Uni today and I already am not satisfied with my Film And TV Production course. We were just learning about different types of cameras or lenses and the modules don’t sound so exciting but also sound different to what was pitched to me on Open Days. I’m thinking of switching to the Creative Writing course at the same Uni but is it too early? How many days or weeks should I give this course first? How easy is it to switch course at the same Uni anyways?

I forgot to mention there are only 13 of us on the course and it’s all boys. I’m someone who likes a variety of people (race, gender etc)
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
it depends on the uni. You will have to ask someone as your uni about this
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

Creative writing would probably stand you in better stead for the screenwriter ambition.

But this course is good for keeping it exam orientated whilst you pursue your real interest (creative writing) on the side. So like. Do the course, as you have done school - something to get a an education from.

Whilst do creative writing (with inspiration from your daily routine of the course and everything else that makes up your days till you get into screenwriting As a professional) on the side as a fun thing or hobby.

or forget the above. And just switch to creative writing and hope it does enough to nurture skills and ability for the role in the future.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
Creative writing would probably stand you in better stead for the screenwriter ambition.

But this course is good for keeping it exam orientated whilst you pursue your real interest (creative writing) on the side. So like. Do the course, as you have done school - something to get a an education from.

Whilst do creative writing (with inspiration from your daily routine of the course and everything else that makes up your days till you get into screenwriting As a professional) on the side as a fun thing or hobby.

or forget the above. And just switch to creative writing and hope it does enough to nurture skills and ability for the role in the future.
Jheez that’s so scary to think about 😂
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 days ago

You should look up the liability for fees of the uni. This is the time since enrolment you become liable for the fees and that can be 1-4 weeks. Its a specific date.
This allows you to leave the course before that date but be liable for fees after it. IT IS IMPORTANT.

You should also contact the department you are interested in and ask if they have space for an internal transfer, then if they say yes look up the rules on internal transfers.

It would have seemed to me you would have been better taking a course that involved substantial screenwriting experience if thats what you wanted to do. Have you checked they arent 2nd or 3rd year options?

If the course isnt suitable then leave and take a gap.

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...t=MostRelevant
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Jheez that’s so scary to think about 😂
It is man. It is, but you’ll be fine. Just trust your intuition, whichever is calling you more, is the one you should go for because then you can just say: at least I did what I felt like.

Otherwise; things change and we adapt. So don’t worry so much about it.

That being said, like the post above, do make sure to do this transfer quickly! If you are going to transfer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.11%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.34%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.41%

Watched Threads