Affordable ways to get from Luton to Nottingham

Watch
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I need to get from Luton to Nottingham. I have like zero money left, and the train (if there is any) costs like a couple* of airplane flights across the continent. Any suggestions?

Actually a flight costs like 17 pounds, and train is between 100-300?!!!
Last edited by PTMalewski; 4 weeks ago
Gillzy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
I need to get from Luton to Nottingham. I have like zero money left, and the train (if there is any) costs like a couple* of airplane flights across the continent. Any suggestions?

Cycle, its free and will only take about a day or two.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago

Coach is about the cheapest way.
Students with coach cards get 1/3% off. They cost £12.50 and you normally need proof of age or show you are a full time student as well as couple of passport photos. That means it will pay for itself if you spend over £40 on tickets in a year. There is a direct coach from Luton to Nottingham..

Depending on the ticket you can get one for a specific trip or you can get one for that trip which you can change to another time if you miss it.
https://www.checkmybus.co.uk/luton-airport/nottingham

That £17 flight sounds like a good deal.

Trains are silly prices unless booked a long way in advance.
Peak trains not booked in advance are eyewatering prices.
There are ways to make it cheaper.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Coach is about the cheapest way.
Students with coach cards get 1/3% off. They cost £12.50 and you normally need proof of age or show you are a full time student as well as couple of passport photos. That means it will pay for itself if you spend over £40 on tickets in a year. There is a direct coach from Luton to Nottingham..

Depending on the ticket you can get one for a specific trip or you can get one for that trip which you can change to another time if you miss it.
https://www.checkmybus.co.uk/luton-airport/nottingham

That £17 flight sounds like a good deal.

Trains are silly prices unless booked a long way in advance.
Peak trains not booked in advance are eyewatering prices.
There are ways to make it cheaper.
Thanks for advice! I'm booking a coach. It's still more expensive than a jet airliner but nowhere near as expensive as a train.

I find it all quite ridiculous. Trains could be a green alternative for transport if they were powered by ecological power plants, I really like using them because of comfort and safety but the ticket prices in the UK are about the same as the cost of driving a car from East Europe to the UK.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for advice! I'm booking a coach. It's still more expensive than a jet airliner but nowhere near as expensive as a train.

I find it all quite ridiculous. Trains could be a green alternative for transport if they were powered by ecological power plants, I really like using them because of comfort and safety but the ticket prices in the UK are about the same as the cost of driving a car from East Europe to the UK.
TRains are usable but its complicated and not worth explaining.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's a direct train line from Luton to Nottingham! I'm not surprised it costs an arm and a leg I'm afraid, train fares in GB are hideous.

But that journey is surely no more than about £50, which is admittedly still pretty disgusting.

(No flight is "just" £17 btw, there's the ancillary cost such as to-ing and fro-ing from the airport both in time and money)
Last edited by rockrunride; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads