Anyone have advice for someone just starting out at uni?

Watch
EdenTheLost
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all, I just moved into uni (got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh university) a few days ago and made an account here. Everything is going well so far, it's all quite overwhelming but manageable. I'd just like to ask if anyone has any advice for someone just starting out uni? Any advice for anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EdenTheLost)
Hi all, I just moved into uni (got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh university) a few days ago and made an account here. Everything is going well so far, it's all quite overwhelming but manageable. I'd just like to ask if anyone has any advice for someone just starting out uni? Any advice for anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Join a society, be friendly to everyone you meet whether you think they're you're type of person or not - me and some of my friends are as different as can be but that doesn't matter at uni, everyone is there to be themselves and you'll find everyone is a lot more accepting than school or college. Try to throw yourself into as many fresher activities as possible and keep updated on any group chats of anyone offering invites to places for pres etc. Also make sure to keep in contact with family and friends at home as its easy to feel homesick!!

Sophie - Official Student Rep
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EdenTheLost)
Hi EdenTheLost

I would say get involved in as much as you can, especially in first year, as this is usually when you have the most free time. Like Sophie said try and join a society and go to freshers events, as these are great ways to meet people.

Also, make the most of the resources the university offers such as the careers team, student ambassador work and anything else that can help with your academic studies.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Zaira
Last edited by hallamstudents; 1 week ago
abcdxyz22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!

I would agree with everyone saying that you should go to societies! I made great friends there as my classes didn't have a community feel.
Academically I'd say take the first year seriously. It doesn't matter if do do that well but it will set you up for the following years making the transition less hard. On the other side, don't get overwhelmed with work and make sure to have a social life. Doesn't matter if its clubbing or having coffee with friends just make sure to talk to people.

Also (coming from experience) if you do have any trouble make sure to seek help and talk to the support unit! It's amazing what they can help with sometimes!

Have a great time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (11)
20.37%
No (43)
79.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed