The Student Room Group

Which sixth form college should I go to?

I have 2 sixth form colleges that I can't decide between. With everything going on this year I also may not be able to go to open days as they may be virtual so I won't get to visit the actual college.

The first college is Hugh Baird, which is about 40 minutes away, and has smaller class sizes (8-20) and I may have friends going too. However it's possible that one of my subjects won't go ahead unless there's enough people so I'm worried about that.

The second college is Carmel, which is an hour and 10 minutes away, average class sizes (12-26 and I have one friend that might be going. It has really good technology for languages (and I would be doing French there) and work experience in France too which Hugh Baird doesn't do.

I will be keeping up with any virtual events and info but if anyone has been to either college or just thinks one looks better then any contribution is greatly appreciated as I have no idea which one and I have to have chosen by Jan/Feb 2021.
Original post by AaronJ221
I have 2 sixth form colleges that I can't decide between. With everything going on this year I also may not be able to go to open days as they may be virtual so I won't get to visit the actual college.

The first college is Hugh Baird, which is about 40 minutes away, and has smaller class sizes (8-20) and I may have friends going too. However it's possible that one of my subjects won't go ahead unless there's enough people so I'm worried about that.

The second college is Carmel, which is an hour and 10 minutes away, average class sizes (12-26 and I have one friend that might be going. It has really good technology for languages (and I would be doing French there) and work experience in France too which Hugh Baird doesn't do.

I will be keeping up with any virtual events and info but if anyone has been to either college or just thinks one looks better then any contribution is greatly appreciated as I have no idea which one and I have to have chosen by Jan/Feb 2021.

My only advice would be not to go where your friends go, if that's the only major positive. Your friendship group will alter massively in the change from school to college, so I wouldn't necessarily pick that one over Carmel if it can be useful to your course.

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Hi, my advice for my to go for Carmel from what your post. I know it may sound harsh but the reason you are going to sixth form is to get the right qualifications to move on to whatever you want to do next- go where you can take the subjects you want to take. In a couple of years when you're applying it will be more important where you can apply/having the right grades for the course, especially where you've probably done better results wise with the languages department there.
I picked a sixth form much further away, from a 7 minute commute to an hour and a half and it was hard but so worth it. You can still see your friends out of school and besides, you can meet lots of new people! You mentioned there's one of your friends that might be going with you, which is a bonus but not guaranteed.
I understand the class sizes issue- the school I moved to had class sizes of (roughly) 6-15, which having been used to classes of 28-33 was amazing, but I still think the subject issue is more important. And those class sizes are not that different at the sixth forms you mentioned- there is an overlap and based on subjects could be the same, so don't pick it for that- they are different every year.
Only you know what's best for you, but that's my advice for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest