Is solent uni a good uni and am I doing the right thing?

Watch
username69420
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So basically I'm currently in year 13 right now and I'm looking to do a foundation art diploma after my A levels and then possibly go to university
I will be the first person in my family to have ever been to university and I'm going to be the first person in my family to even finish college so I have nobody to help me with these questions and my college is basically useless

I'm looking at Southampton solent uni for an art degree purely because it's close to my house now so I won't need to move away for uni so I can save money and stay living at home whilst I go. Is this a good idea? My family doesn't have a lot of money so I thought this was a good idea but I've never heard of anybody doing what I'm doing which worries me. Is solent uni a good uni? I honestly just want the degree and I'm not to fussed about if it is good but it would be good to find out beforehand.

Another question I have is if it's even a good idea for me to go to university? Statistically a lot of people who come from poorer families don't go to university and there has to be some sort of reason for this.
lcc2020
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
honestly speaking, southampton uni is better, i think.
the uni has contextual offer as well
take a look, pls
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i think you should explore the uni a bit more. attend open days (virtual ones) and read about the course you want to study.

you need to ask yourself if you can see yourself there. when you look at the uni, do you think you could study there?

have you seen how much maintenance loan you could get? if so, would you receive enough to open your options?

you also need to look and see whether your degree will benefit you more. if it will open more opportunities, go for it! however, if you think you could achieve the same goals without the degree, you need to decide whether it’s worth it
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by username69420)
So basically I'm currently in year 13 right now and I'm looking to do a foundation art diploma after my A levels and then possibly go to university
I will be the first person in my family to have ever been to university and I'm going to be the first person in my family to even finish college so I have nobody to help me with these questions and my college is basically useless

I'm looking at Southampton solent uni for an art degree purely because it's close to my house now so I won't need to move away for uni so I can save money and stay living at home whilst I go. Is this a good idea? My family doesn't have a lot of money so I thought this was a good idea but I've never heard of anybody doing what I'm doing which worries me. Is solent uni a good uni? I honestly just want the degree and I'm not to fussed about if it is good but it would be good to find out beforehand.

Another question I have is if it's even a good idea for me to go to university? Statistically a lot of people who come from poorer families don't go to university and there has to be some sort of reason for this.
Hello username69420

Although it may not seem like it, you are at a very exciting stage of your life, so make sure you enjoy making these decisions. Please do not stress, things will work out for the best in the end no matter which way you turn, I am sure! In terms of your choice to go to Solent or not, I was actually in a very similar situation to yourself. I don't live too far from the University so have commuted throughout my 2 years so far, I have saved so much money doing this and would really recommend to anyone like myself that wasn't looking for the full on experience of living in shared accommodation, but that wants a University education.

I was also the first member of my family to attend University as we were never particularly wealthy either and my siblings have entered jobs that did not require a degree. My family were keen for me to get a University education as this is the correct path for me to achieve the career I want, and they knew I would be able to flourish in such an environment. The question you need to ask yourself is if you are ready to commit to your course and let it be the focus of your efforts in order to achieve that specific degree qualification - will you love it enough to put the time in?

In terms of money, I really wouldn't worry too much! Your student maintenance loan is calculated off of your family income, meaning the less your parents are able to contribute, the more you will receive in order to fund yourself. I don't think I would have been able to live as comfortably (financially) in paid for student accommodation as I do living at home, as although the loan is helpful, you still have to spend it wisely. Please find out a little more about the student loans here.

If you decide you want to study at a university (Solent or otherwise) but you are not sure on being able to live in for your first year, you can always change your mind going into your consecutive years if you meet friends or would like to be closer to the social aspects.

I hope this has helped ease a little bit of your stress. Please remember not to worry too much, and remember you can apply to any Universities you like, but you do not need to accept an offer for any - so take your time on your decision. Make sure to attend any Open Days (virtual for the time being) that you can and reach out to those around you for support.

Thank you,

Izzy
ghjajkfa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Typically people from lower income families are not pushed as much academically and so face the same problems you are having now so the process is harder. Also, people from this environment will often go into jobs such as construction, hairdressing and retail; they do not always have the same role models and when everyone else is doing those jobs around them, and they are not pushed in academics, then they see those as their job options and that will be further defined at 16 when they attend college and enrol on courses which cater for this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed