How to envy my friends lovely Uni house when I’m back at halls?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was all set to be living with my friends again this year in a really nice student house in a great location. However, a few months after signing the contract my dad got seriously ill and it was a really stressful time for me. I couldn’t handle the responsibility of the paperwork and finances for a new house so I had to pull out of the contract. I’m going back to halls again this year, which are small, outdated, and I’ll be living with strangers. I can’t help but envy my friends who all get to live together, especially during the pandemic where the current guidelines will stop me from hanging out with them. I’m worried I’ll be replaced in the group but the girl that replaced me in the contract, and that I’ll lose touch with them. They’re my only friends at Uni and it sucks. How can I overcome all these feelings of envy and worry?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was all set to be living with my friends again this year in a really nice student house in a great location. However, a few months after signing the contract my dad got seriously ill and it was a really stressful time for me. I couldn’t handle the responsibility of the paperwork and finances for a new house so I had to pull out of the contract. I’m going back to halls again this year, which are small, outdated, and I’ll be living with strangers. I can’t help but envy my friends who all get to live together, especially during the pandemic where the current guidelines will stop me from hanging out with them. I’m worried I’ll be replaced in the group but the girl that replaced me in the contract, and that I’ll lose touch with them. They’re my only friends at Uni and it sucks. How can I overcome all these feelings of envy and worry?
I think you just have to accept it was an exceptional time and you made the best of the situation at the time. No point beating yourself up.
Just stay in contact as best you can. You should still be friends, but inevitably things wont be the same. Your priorities are: Family, studies, own happiness in whatever situation you are in. Be positive you might make new friends. You can still go out with some of them or meet for lunch.
Think yourself lucky you found a replacement.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Im also in halls for 2nd year. Didnt really make any close enough friends in 1st year and the girls i was meant to be living with had too much of a low budget. The houses were shabby and looked unsafe. Im back in halls and when family members ask where im living and i reply halls, they think i have no friends. Who cares tho, my halls are quite sick for this year. You got this sis
historynerd47
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in halls for second year too. I was really ill all first term last year, and spent the term either at lectures/seminars when I was well enough or resting in my room or at a medical appointment. I had to go home for a week. As a result, I barely met anyone. My flat were horrendous and I met some nice people on my course but in early December all of those people were picking flats and knew who they wanted to live with. I panicked I wouldn't have anywhere to live so picked halls as the deadline was Christmas.
I made some great friends in term two and they are spread over three different lovely uni houses and I'm stuck in halls again, I just hope my flat are nice this time
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How many of your friends are living in the house? Covid might not mean you can't see them - the rule of 6 means that 6 people can meet from different households, so you will have to keep your distance, but you can absolutely spend time with them!

I know it's a difficult situation, but just wanted to give you some hope on at least that aspect of things!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (12)
18.46%
No (53)
81.54%

Watched Threads