Drinking - fk up the dieting plans?

Watch
Eccentric Goatie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I m a bit overweight, but have been having success with a restrictive diet. I have lowered a lot my kcal intake, and actually feel healthier and less excessive. Don’t feel like I m restringing my life. Only in the drinking department as I feel (it might be psychological tho) that when I go out drinking (heavily!) the next day I wake up swollen and a lot fatter. Like a lot. I feel like one day of drinking heavily (not eating that much kcal when drinking bc I know I ll be doing my nice share of kcal with alcohol) can screw the entire month or week of diet. Is this true?
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A quick Google shows ethanol is about 7000 kcal per kg. That's about 1,500 kcal more than your average peanuts.

So if one drank 1L of Vodka, and assuming ethanol and water have the same density {is 40 percent by volume or by weight? How does that work for alcohol bottles?} you would be in the ballpark of say 2,800 kcal, which is one days recommended intake basically.

Now i'm usually gone by the first shot glass, and I doubt most people hit a whole bottle, but going out for one day per month and heavily drinking doesn't seem that bad imo.

However that assumes you drink pure ethanol with just water added. For beer yo have about 4.4k kcals per liter, which is more than my quick guess for vodka. You can also drink way more before being totally pogged.

Assuming beer is 6pc ethanol by volume, that's 60ml per liter. 400ml of ethanol takes 6.67 liters about, call it 7, which is more than 28k kcal.

Now I don't know anyone who drinks that much beer so admittedly you might need less, but on any metric it still probably has far more calories than vodka for the same drunk value, because of the way its made.

Also I know that ethanol is about four fifths the density of water, but since idk if its by volume or by weight and calories are quoted by weight I assumed an equal density to water to make things easier for my poor mindthats about to go back to sleep.
Last edited by Callicious; 1 week ago
Eccentric Goatie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Callicious)
A quick Google shows ethanol is about 7000 kcal per kg. That's about 1,500 kcal more than your average peanuts.

So if one drank 1L of Vodka, and assuming ethanol and water have the same density {is 40 percent by volume or by weight? How does that work for alcohol bottles?} you would be in the ballpark of say 2,800 kcal, which is one days recommended intake basically.

Now in usually gone by the first shot glass, and I doubt most people hit a whole bottle, but going out for one day per month and heavily drinking doesn't seem that bad imo.

However that assumes you drink pure ethanol with just water added. For beer yo have about 4.4 kcals per liter, which is more than my quick guess for vodka. You can also drink way more before being totally pogged.

Assuming beer is 6pc ethanol by volume, that's 60ml per liter. 400ml of ethanol takes 6.67 liters about, call it 7, which is more than 28 kcal.

Now I don't know anyone who drinks that much beer so admittedly you might need less, but on any metric it still probably has far more calories than vodka for the same drunk value, because of the way its made.

Also I know that ethanol is about four fifths the density of water, but since idk if its by volume or by weight and calories are quoted by weight I assumed an equal density to water to make things easier for my poor mindthats about to go back to sleep.
How much for a glass of vodka?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Eccentric Goatie)
I m a bit overweight, but have been having success with a restrictive diet. I have lowered a lot my kcal intake, and actually feel healthier and less excessive. Don’t feel like I m restringing my life. Only in the drinking department as I feel (it might be psychological tho) that when I go out drinking (heavily!) the next day I wake up swollen and a lot fatter. Like a lot. I feel like one day of drinking heavily (not eating that much kcal when drinking bc I know I ll be doing my nice share of kcal with alcohol) can screw the entire month or week of diet. Is this true?
It makes sense. If you consume large quantities of liquid then you will definitely feel it. You're also consuming a large amount of calories in one go so it's similar to if you ate a big meal - you'll feel a bit bigger. I'm not sure about screwing the whole month of dieting, but it can certainly have short term effects on your body. I don't recommend going out and drinking heavily to the extent it makes you feel like that the next day if you are on a restrictive diet. It just seems like you'll be undoing all the hard work you've done in the days before the binging session.

Of course, you can still enjoy drinking but perhaps reduce the quantities you drink in one night.
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Callicious)

Now in usually gone by the first shot glass, and I doubt most people hit a whole bottle, but going out for one day per month and heavily drinking doesn't seem that bad imo.

However that assumes you drink pure ethanol with just water added. For beer yo have about 4.4 kcals per liter, which is more than my quick guess for vodka. You can also drink way more before being totally pogged.

Assuming beer is 6pc ethanol by volume, that's 60ml per liter. 400ml of ethanol takes 6.67 liters about, call it 7, which is more than 28 kcal.

It’s not that deep
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
It’s not that deep
That's what he said in response to her refusal.

YOU SHOULD HAVE GIVEN ME THE CHANCE TO SAY That's what she said BUT NOPE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (23)
23.71%
No (74)
76.29%

Watched Threads