How come Edinburgh is ranked so high on QS ranking, but has very poor quality?

Watch
ilovelingtan
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a student from South East Asia doing a postgraduate programme in business related. I was lured by QS ranking and now I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the University.

To begin with, the quality of the masters programmes here are extremely poor. I would say it is not as good as top universities in my country. The lecturers' qualification is poor (especially if you compare with the tuition fee). It is partly my fault that I trusted QS ranking too much that I didn't check the teachers' background before.

I would say some academics have completely no academic background in business related . I don't want to be specific but to give you an example, it is like an Economics lecturer doesn't know what Laissez-faire is (it is not Economics programme though, this is just a metaphor). If you are considering this University, you must check this out yourselves. Don't trust ranking.

I have no idea how QS ranks this programme at Edinburgh one of the top 50 in the world, given that the lecturers and courses quality are not as good as the programmes at, say, Aston or Essex (as far as I hear from my friends over there). The research quality here is questionable too, given that any students without business background can do PhD in Business here. In fact, one or two masters programmes in Business School have directors who have completely no academic background in Business and don't know how Michael E Porter matters - how can he/she mark our assignments?

Last but not least, I made several complaints to the Global Edinburgh office. But no one replies. I do not recommend any students to have the same experience as I am having now.
oliviamkc
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ilovelingtan)
I am a student from South East Asia doing a postgraduate programme in business related. I was lured by QS ranking and now I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the University.

To begin with, the quality of the masters programmes here are extremely poor. I would say it is not as good as top universities in my country. The lecturers' qualification is poor (especially if you compare with the tuition fee). It is partly my fault that I trusted QS ranking too much that I didn't check the teachers' background before.

I would say some academics have completely no academic background in business related . I don't want to be specific but to give you an example, it is like an Economics lecturer doesn't know what Laissez-faire is (it is not Economics programme though, this is just a metaphor). If you are considering this University, you must check this out yourselves. Don't trust ranking.

I have no idea how QS ranks this programme at Edinburgh one of the top 50 in the world, given that the lecturers and courses quality are not as good as the programmes at, say, Aston or Essex (as far as I hear from my friends over there). The research quality here is questionable too, given that any students without business background can do PhD in Business here. In fact, one or two masters programmes in Business School have directors who have completely no academic background in Business and don't know how Michael E Porter matters - how can he/she mark our assignments?

Last but not least, I made several complaints to the Global Edinburgh office. But no one replies. I do not recommend any students to have the same experience as I am having now.
https://www.topuniversities.com/qs-w...gs/methodology.
student opinion tends to make a very small difference in QS rankings it seems. & is more based on the faculty / number of citations (which in itself if highly arbitrary & pointless)

league tables time & time again don’t fully reflect the quality of teaching. as a lot of things make up a rankings and different tables use different measurements (I can’t think of the word I mean). Not saying, that using league tables are wrong but — basing where you go purely on league tables often doesn’t reflect the teaching / “vibe” of a place.

As for the qualifications of said lecturers, not all academic staff have doctorates. some have post-grad degrees - although this is relatively uncommon. or, have extreme experiences within the discipline. . Each university is different tho (I’m not at Edinburgh).

who knows, some unis that are ranked highly. have extremely poor student satisfaction. when I was applying a few years back for my degree Bristol, had a horrendous strident satisfaction score.
ilovelingtan
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by oliviamkc)
https://www.topuniversities.com/qs-w...gs/methodology.
student opinion tends to make a very small difference in QS rankings it seems. & is more based on the faculty / number of citations (which in itself if highly arbitrary & pointless)

league tables time & time again don’t fully reflect the quality of teaching. as a lot of things make up a rankings and different tables use different measurements (I can’t think of the word I mean). Not saying, that using league tables are wrong but — basing where you go purely on league tables often doesn’t reflect the teaching / “vibe” of a place.

As for the qualifications of said lecturers, not all academic staff have doctorates. some have post-grad degrees - although this is relatively uncommon. or, have extreme experiences within the discipline. . Each university is different tho (I’m not at Edinburgh).

who knows, some unis that are ranked highly. have extremely poor student satisfaction. when I was applying a few years back for my degree Bristol, had a horrendous strident satisfaction score.
Thanks Olivia. That was my fault. All I can say is QS ranking is completely useless.

I agree that sometimes it's ok that academic staff have only masters degree, if they have something else. But what if for example marketing lecturers have neither PhD nor extreme experience in marketing? To our surprise, some lecturers (not tutors) have just mild experience and are studying PhD at the University too! Is letting PhD students actually teach and assess us (again, not just tutor) a way to save costs at Edinburgh? How come QS didn't pick this up and ranked the University one of the top 50 in the world for this program?
BBB Plus
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think Edinburgh buys their way into top ranking.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Tbf my time in Physics has been fantastic. My MSc supervisor is great, and the others in the department are all fantastic, too. Might just be Economics/whatever-else that isn't that fantastic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (11)
10.48%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
0.95%
Finding the time to revise (7)
6.67%
Finding the motivation (27)
25.71%
Getting distracted (14)
13.33%
Procrastination (44)
41.9%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.95%

Watched Threads