Loreto2018
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 hours ago
So I've had well over 60 hours of driving lessons and I still can't forward bay park! I've had to switch instructors and now my new instructor won't let me move onto another topic unless I get it consistently right every time. But no matter what I do, I always hit a line or go too close to one side of the bay lines. I'm trying to use a reference point of having the side mirror in line with the top bay line and the first bay line about an inch from the door handle but I still always mess it up. I get so frustrated because my parents have spent way more than they needed to because I'm such a slow learner and I can't get simple things like this right. I spent a whole 2 hour lesson in the car park trying to do the bay parking and I never got it right and my instructor just seemed so frustrated with me. Does anyone have any tips on forward bay parking including what the ideal reference points are? I know it's different for every car and seat position but there has to be a certain point of turn where it will go in no matter what. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 13 hours ago
(Original post by Loreto2018)
So I've had well over 60 hours of driving lessons and I still can't forward bay park! I've had to switch instructors and now my new instructor won't let me move onto another topic unless I get it consistently right every time. But no matter what I do, I always hit a line or go too close to one side of the bay lines. I'm trying to use a reference point of having the side mirror in line with the top bay line and the first bay line about an inch from the door handle but I still always mess it up. I get so frustrated because my parents have spent way more than they needed to because I'm such a slow learner and I can't get simple things like this right. I spent a whole 2 hour lesson in the car park trying to do the bay parking and I never got it right and my instructor just seemed so frustrated with me. Does anyone have any tips on forward bay parking including what the ideal reference points are? I know it's different for every car and seat position but there has to be a certain point of turn where it will go in no matter what. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Does your instructor know where you're going wrong? Surely they would be able to point out to you what bits you need to change and improve. Maybe you could ask your instructor to swap seats with you so you can see how he does it, ask him to talk through his thought process so you can see what points he uses?

Nobody gets it right every time. Even my dad who has been driving for several decades has to reverse back out sometimes when forward parking because he's too wonky or whatever. Everybody hits the lines. I bet your instructor couldn't park perfectly 10 times in a row.
TheDE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 hours ago
Get someone with a car to take you to an empty car park the night before your test and just start doing it. Don’t put too much effort into reference points... when you approach stay as far left from the bay (if it is on the right) as you can, this will allow more time to adjust on the way into the bay. Keep doing it repeatedly until it becomes natural. You will soon get a feel for the point you should turn.
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 hours ago
are you learning in a manual or automatic?
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 hours ago
(Original post by TheDE)
Get someone with a car to take you to an empty car park the night before your test and just start doing it. Don’t put too much effort into reference points... when you approach stay as far left from the bay (if it is on the right) as you can, this will allow more time to adjust on the way into the bay. Keep doing it repeatedly until it becomes natural. You will soon get a feel for the point you should turn.
You wouldn't believe the amount of times I've practised this over and over again with a family member and i would get it right most of the time. But when I'm with an instructor, i always get it wrong. Maybe i get too anxious when someone is assessing what I'm doing, or the reference points are completely different in this car compared to my instructors. And btw its a new instructor so i don't really know her that well. My last instructor left so now i have to do lessons with a new instructor, new car and a new test route which just adds on way more stress.
Last edited by Loreto2018; 1 hour ago
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Does your instructor know where you're going wrong? Surely they would be able to point out to you what bits you need to change and improve. Maybe you could ask your instructor to swap seats with you so you can see how he does it, ask him to talk through his thought process so you can see what points he uses?

Nobody gets it right every time. Even my dad who has been driving for several decades has to reverse back out sometimes when forward parking because he's too wonky or whatever. Everybody hits the lines. I bet your instructor couldn't park perfectly 10 times in a row.
My instructor just keeps telling me to find a good reference point so i know when to turn. But I just can't judge the reference point correctly, I find it so hard to tell where the line should be cause its not exactly near my door handle like it would be for most people, its like a couple inches away and I can never get it in that exact point. So Its hard to remember where it was by time I go to my next lesson and then when i screw it up she makes me do it again and again until i get it right and I'm not making progress at all. She wont let me move on until I've sorted this issue out and its so frustrating because its just costing me sooo much time and money for a stupid little thing that is probably one of the most easiest parts of driving for most people.
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by royalty1702)
are you learning in a manual or automatic?
Manual
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 minute ago
Manual
if you feel like you're struggling you can always switch to automatic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (27)
13.78%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (27)
13.78%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (68)
34.69%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (20)
10.2%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (44)
22.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (10)
5.1%

Watched Threads