grace04935
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi!
I'm in year 12 at the moment, but I'm starting to think about where I'd like to study after sixth form. I'm interested in reading Law at university, with my dream being the University of Oxford. I understand that Law is a notoriously competitive subject and those who apply will all be very well accomplished. The problem for me is that other than studying hard and getting good GCSEs, I haven't done anything to make me stand out much. I was hoping that this would change after secondary school but unfortunately, the Law enrichment course at my sixth form (which would have involved mooting, bar mock trial etc) isn't available to me since I'm not studying A-level Law. I feel that this puts me at a massive disadvantage. It sounds dramatic but I feel like I've taken a real blow to my confidence- almost as if my chances of going to Oxford have been revoked already
Does anybody have any unique suggestions of things I could do in my free time to enhance my personal statement and strengthen my application (bearing in mind I have my sights set on Oxford! )
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
nyx2911
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
In the same situation, try some law courses on coursera! You DONT necessarily have to pay and get the certificate but the free one without the certificate works too. Try reading books related to law! There’s letters to a law student, the secret barrister(fiction), etc
ayesla
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 hours ago
I'd say start studying for the LNAT as soon as possible. I really regret not starting earlier and contrary to what a lot of people say it is something you can prepare for.
Use Arbitio as well -it's much more difficult than the actual exam and a lot of my friends in years above me got 30+ with it.

If you need a discount code for Arbitio i can tell u a 10% off code
Advertisement
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
You also need to do well in your A levels but that's already standard. The main problems you want to tackled for Oxford is the interview and LNAT. I suggest practicing for it because it's a heavy weighting in their decision making but you dont need to do this until the summer. The second is getting stuff for your personal statement and interview, which is easy to do. You can do a lot of things like reading cases, legislation, judgements, books, articles, news, academic reports, doing essay comps, your own research project, EPQ, watching documentaries, listening to podcasts, lectures, TED talks, doing online courses, summer schools, taster days, work experience - honestly there's so much you can do. Dont think about what you need to do to stand out but finding things that could fuel your interest in law because in my opinion, a genuine interest in law, especially in specific areas they are interested in, would make you stand out from those who havent researched about it, done generic stuff or wants to be a lawyer. The Law enrichment course wouldnt put you at a disadvantage at all tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.11%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.34%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise