Lizamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So Iv just started sixth form last week and I do English literature and I actually enjoy it very much however I keep getting put off it due to people who have done it saying it’s very hard and saying you should drop out before it’s to late
Any advice ?
historynerd47
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, please don't drop out if you love it! I did English lit a-level a couple of years ago and my class and I loved it. We found it by far the least jump, if you did well at the GCSE you'll probably do well at the a-level. There were no surprises like other subjects- analysis of texts went more in depth, more literary terminology etc but nothing surprising.
There was no change from year 12-13 we just looked at different texts and in 13 did our one coursework piece. The jump if any is from year 11 to 13 so if you enjoy it now I see no reason to panic.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you like the subject, stick with it. it is difficult, yes but the same can be said about most subjects so...
Jonasaurus13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, word of advice. DONT LISTEN TO THEM. I did English Lit these past two years (I'm now at uni) and I loved it as well. I won't lie, it did have one of the heaviest workloads out of my subjects, but I hardly noticed it because at A level, the subjects are so much more in depth and enjoyable than at GCSE level. Notto mention the coursework I found to be one of the most enjoyable things in the course (not discrediting the other parts, they're all really interesting) because you had the freedom to talk about whatever the hell you want, which you dont really get in other subjects (I did my coursework on Dracula and The Monk: highly recommend you read both of them, they are stunners). Also, english li is rather highly considered by universities because it shows you can critically analyse and assess the daylights out of anything. At the end of the day, the people telling you that you should drop english lit don't know what they're talking baout, maybe because they havent studied in years, o havent experineced the course in its fullness. So please, don't drop the subject because of them. However, if in a few weeks you decide that you don't vibe with the course, then dont force yourself to continue with english. Yes, sometimes its better to get to the end of a course because your grades will be way higher at the end than at the begining and you would have found a love for the subject, however you can really only do that if you WANT to suceed i the subject which is difficult if you don't enjoy it. So, in conclusion, I would recommend you don't listen to others, and at least wait it out a bit before making a decision. Hpe this helps!
fish finger fan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Moved to English lit study help, hopefully this helps give you some more answers.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well if you're enjoying it, why would you want to drop it?
Yeah, I heard there's a LOT of content, but that's the same with most A-Level subjects, especially essay based ones.
Dont let other people's bad experiences put you off, because people have had bad experiences in most if not all A-Level subjects!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (45)
23.56%
Less motivated (146)
76.44%

Watched Threads