Wil Re-doing Year 1 Out of Choice Impact my Uni Application?

Watch
_Kestrel_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello Everyone,

I would be going into year 13 right now, continuing the study of my Biology, Chemistry and Geography A-Levels, however I have made the somewhat drastic decision to re-do year one with a new set of A-Levels (English Lit, Law & Philosophy)! Although I was doing pretty good in my old A-Levels, with BCA* in my February review, and I was realistically expected to achieve A*AB in my final exams (according to my teachers) - I hated them, and I could see myself loosing motivation during second year, especially with the strong possibility of lockdowns e.g. I have also always had a love for essay subjects, reading and writing is one of my main hobbies and I achieved 9s in all my GCSE essay subjects (which I enjoyed for the most part). To compare, I only got a 6 at GCSE maths, and the 8-8 I achieved in science was the result of a substantial amount of revision, which I did not enjoy in the slightest. I originally chose my A-Levels out of pure indecision, pressure from family and the thought process of 'Oh I like nature, so I will do sciences' (despite being advised by school to do the subjects I am doing this year!). I am simply not a 'mathsy' or science person any more than beyond a simple interest - it is not the career for me. I also now have a clear career prospect of Environmental Protection Law, which is a competitive field, but also my dream job. Therefore, I feel that it is imperative I get the best grades so I can do to a top uni to study Law and do my masters in Environmental law.

However, I am concerned that me re-doing year 1 might be frowned upon my such universities, even if it just because of subject changes rather than because of poor academic progress. The college support team has assured me that this is not the case, however I would feel best prepared if I can get some independent advice on how I can manage this potential issue when applying. I was also informed that year 2s retaking year 1 out of choice is likely to be a common occurrence (it certainly is in my college) because of the Corona situation, and therefore Universities may be more understanding.

Thanks the the support, good luck with your studies x
_Kestrel_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Bump.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads