Intergration (by parts/substitution - Can I do it?

Watch
tande33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
The integral of x^2 2 sec^2 x tan x dx . I have done one lesson of integration techniques and I am stuck on this, wondering if you need substitution method. I am yet to cover this! Many Thanks.
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yes, a product of a polynomial and a trigonometric function should be amenable to IBP.

You should also be able to use the fact that the derivative of tan x is sec^2 x.

Given standard formulae, you shouldn't need to use substitution.
tande33
Rep:
?
(Original post by Justvisited)
Yes, a product of a polynomial and a trigonometric function should be amenable to IBP.

You should also be able to use the fact that the derivative of tan x is sec^2 x.

Given standard formulae, you shouldn't need to use substitution.
Hmmm ok I have not been taught how tan x being derivative of sec ^2x will help me here, is it obvious?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by tande33)
Hmmm ok I have not been taught how tan x being derivative of sec ^2x will help me here, is it obvious?
Under the integral sign you got

sec^2(x) tan(x) dx

If we transform to the u variable, then we have

sec^2(x) tan(x) dx/du du

and if we look at sec^2(x)tan(x), then we have

d(tan x)/dx tan(x) dx/du du

Notice that d(tanx)/dx * dx/du can be cancelled down to a constant if we impose that u=tanx.

Thus the stuff under the integral sign reduces to

tan(x) du

I.e.

u du

So this is why it is useful to notice that sec^2 is derivative of tan. Generally, if you are integrating f'(x)f(x) you can sub in u=f(x) to see that it will help.
Last edited by RDKGames; 2 days ago
tande33
Rep:
?
Ah ok thanks, I think I get that. This is likely something I will cover in class right?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Ah ok thanks, I think I get that. This is likely something I will cover in class right?
Substitution? Of course. Alongside IBP it is a fundamental integration technique, and not at all obvious in some cases.
tande33
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Substitution? Of course. Alongside IBP it is a fundamental integration technique, and not at all obvious in some cases.
great thanks again!
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
No need for substitution - more to the point to know the chain rule, and hence working backwards to see that integrating f'(x) f(x) gives you 1/2 (f(x))^2
tande33
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
No need for substitution - more to the point to know the chain rule, and hence working backwards to see that integrating f'(x) f(x) gives you 1/2 (f(x))^2
hmmm ok, I don't quite understand how that helps though apart from that I can find v?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
hmmm ok, I don't quite understand how that helps though apart from that I can find v?
sec^2(x) tan(x) is of the form f'(x)f(x) so it will integrate into 1/2[f(x)]^2 i.e. 1/2 tan^2(x).

I think this chain rule is what often flies over students heads to begin with ... Easy to forget that integration is just going the other way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.67%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (44)
14.67%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (105)
35%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.67%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
21.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed