lauren_atkin_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice!

I was enrolled on a masters course from 2018-2019. Due to family issues I was unable to complete a dissertation and agreed with the uni that I would opt for a PGDip. This was all above board and the uni said that if I wanted to submit the dissertation within the resit period I could and thus obtain a masters degree.

After the deadline for the resit period my external circumstances has been resolved and I feel like I would want to turn my PGDip into a Masters by submitting a dissertation. I haven’t even been awarded my PGDip yet due to delays caused by COVID. As such I applied through the post grad applicant portal for the uni I studied at but it has just been rejected.

I really don’t understand why as turning a PGDip into a Masters is a done thing??

I’ve emailed several people in the university but no one seems to think that they’re the correct person I should be contacting.

Does anyone know what I should do next??
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lauren_atkin_)

I was enrolled on a masters course from 2018-2019. Due to family issues I was unable to complete a dissertation and agreed with the uni that I would opt for a PGDip. This was all above board and the uni said that if I wanted to submit the dissertation within the resit period I could and thus obtain a masters degree.

After the deadline for the resit period my external circumstances has been resolved and I feel like I would want to turn my PGDip into a Masters by submitting a dissertation. I haven’t even been awarded my PGDip yet due to delays caused by COVID. As such I applied through the post grad applicant portal for the uni I studied at but it has just been rejected.

I really don’t understand why as turning a PGDip into a Masters is a done thing??

I’ve emailed several people in the university but no one seems to think that they’re the correct person I should be contacting.

Ultimately the Academic Registrar could explain and this will be something in the academic standards of the Uni.

They clearly take the view that upgrading needs to be done within a specific time period, and you were outside the time period. This would be quite common among institutions with higher academic standards. Intensity of effort is an issue, as is connecting the two efforts, when staff, syllabi etc inevitably change over time.

It might be worth pursuing once more, but otherwise it might be best to see if the OU would consider a transfer.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lauren_atkin_)

Given that the resit period has passed, the offer to top-up your PgDip to a masters has probably expired. Do you still have the contact for your personal tutor or course lead?

As threeportdrift says, your best bet is probably the OU.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (88)
21.62%
No (319)
78.38%

Watched Threads