Mecki
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ok, so a little backstory, I am on my 3rd year at university, 2 of those I have failed, my first year I failed because of medical reasons and the 2nd year was the free year that sfe give which I also failed as I thought id be able to get through the year with the medical reasons still present.

Now I am on my 3rd year and have passed this year, but because I picked another course (3year course) sfe is making me pay the tuition fees for the first year and then they will pay for the last 2.

My issue is that I dont have the funds to pay for my tuition fee and with Covid-19 happening I have been unable to go to the doctors to get medical evidence that I was having issues to apply for the compelling personal reasons form I think it is, so that I can hopefully have sfe pay for the year.

The question that I have is, has anyone else ever tried the compelling personal reasons form before to gain back another year and does anyone think my university will allow me to progress to the next year without paying the tuition fee if I say I am trying to do this with sfe?

Id appreciate any replies
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mecki)
Ok, so a little backstory, I am on my 3rd year at university, 2 of those I have failed, my first year I failed because of medical reasons and the 2nd year was the free year that sfe give which I also failed as I thought id be able to get through the year with the medical reasons still present.

Now I am on my 3rd year and have passed this year, but because I picked another course (3year course) sfe is making me pay the tuition fees for the first year and then they will pay for the last 2.

My issue is that I dont have the funds to pay for my tuition fee and with Covid-19 happening I have been unable to go to the doctors to get medical evidence that I was having issues to apply for the compelling personal reasons form I think it is, so that I can hopefully have sfe pay for the year.

The question that I have is, has anyone else ever tried the compelling personal reasons form before to gain back another year and does anyone think my university will allow me to progress to the next year without paying the tuition fee if I say I am trying to do this with sfe?

Havent I already answered this?

This is how your finance works.

0 = Entitlement is degree length +1/
1. Year 1=fail but you use 1 year= degree length +0
2. Tries again= fail and use another year =degree length -1.
3. Doesnt make sense because you say you have passed a third year/ first year on a new course, but with your student finance being degree-1, they should have refused to pay fees for year 1.
4. You then talk about progressing to another year? i.e year 2 of your new course?
5. Whether or not your uni will allow you to progress depends and you should talk to them. Imo if you have not paid the previous years fees as you suggest is the case, then the liability is yours. They are unlikely to allow you to progress if you owe them large amounts of money.
6. You say you cant get medical evidence due to cv19? have you talked to your GP and asked for a letter?
7. You should get your CPR claim in as soon as possible, but they will want to see some medical evidence.
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mecki)

Hi Mecki
Thanks for getting in touch about this.
It looks like your situation is obviously causing you some anxiety. As mentioned in another post, it is definitely worth getting in touch with the University. The Student Hub will be able to advise you on the financial side and the academic progress side things (as well as ensuring that your health and wellbeing are taken care of).
I really hope you're able to get the advice you need on your studies and finance. Most importantly, look after yourself.
Best wishes, Shaun
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.51%
No (281)
78.49%

Watched Threads