help! college being difficult on centre assessed grade appeal

Watch
harlem
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was due to retake physics A2 summer 2020.
I studied at my college 2017-2019
my college gave me a CAG and I ended up getting it as my final grade, which one grade below what I was predicted in October 2018

my head of college emailed me and said he is unable to proceed with the appeal because:

1. he spoke with the physics staff that taught/worked with me to put forward a grade judged by their professional judgement.

my physics teacher left the college summer 2019, so there are no physics staff who can put forward a grade, "judged by their professional judgement".
So either the head of college is doing his job improperly or lying.

2. I was on the track for a grade that is lower by TWO grades
(false information)
My physics teacher, who left, predicted me a grade that is one grade higher than what I've gotten.

The deadline for appeal submission is tomorrow and if the college still does not approve what should be my next step?
From what I can gather, I should contact the exam board directly.

thank you
Last edited by harlem; 1 week ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I couldn't follow your argument fully, so I suggest you have another go at making it completely clear if you want to progress this.

When you say 'originally predicted' what do you mean? When was this prediction made?

I've seen hundreds of 'Year 14' students re-sit and many don't even turn up, some do worse - there's no guarantee they will do better. The only way you could give an even half way accurate CAG is by assessing how they're working recently. Anything from the previous year is of really dubious validity.
Last edited by Compost; 1 week ago
harlem
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I couldn't follow your argument fully, so I suggest you have another go at making it completely clear if you want to progress this.

When you say 'originally predicted' what do you mean? When was this prediction made?

I've seen hundreds of 'Year 14' students re-sit and many don't even turn up, some do worse - they're no guarantee they will do better. The only way you could give an even half way accurate CAG is by assessing how they're working recently. Anything from the previous year is of really dubious validity.
the physics teacher who taught me for two years 2017-2019
made a prediction on October 2018
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by harlem)
the physics teacher who taught me for two years 2017-2019
made a prediction on October 2018
Far too far away to have any real validity - plus UCAS predictions are always on the optimistic side.
StDave
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just to clarify, can you confirm the following:

Did you take the exam during summer 2019?

If so, was the result of that exam lower than your predicted grade given during 2018?

Did you self-study for 2019-2020 and only registered with your old college as a private candidate for the retake which was due for the summer of 2020?
harlem
Rep:
?
(Original post by StDave)
Just to clarify, can you confirm the following:

If so, was the result of that exam lower than your predicted grade given during 2018?

Did you self-study for 2019-2020 and only registered with your old college as a private candidate for the retake which was due for the summer of 2020?

Yes

YES
But I informed my physics teacher about disruptions I had with my studies.
Which are accepted as extenuating circumstances by competitive universities
I have two other teachers who put forward a higher CAG for 2020, despite achieving lower grades than physics in 2019.

yes and yes
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have two other teachers who put forward a higher CAG for 2020, despite achieving lower grades than physics in 2019.
What did they base this on? Knowledge of you prior to 2020? Mock taken in Spring/Summer 2020? Submitted work? A mixture?
StDave
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Yes

YES
But I informed my physics teacher about disruptions I had with my studies.
Which are accepted as extenuating circumstances by competitive universities

yes and yes
Did you make the exams officer aware of your extenuating circumstances, so they could tell the exam board? If the circumstances came out of the blue and definitely affected you on exam days, you would have needed to do this immediately before or after the time of the exam for it to be considered.

When you were receiving education at this college, your predicted grade was higher than your actual grade. Your predicted grade is superceded by your actual grade.

Your problem is this. You are a private candidate and only registered with the college in 2020 for the purpose of taking the exam - not for being educated. They've no recent work, course work, mock exam results or anything else to base a CAG on, or an exam board appeal.

If in 2019, you told the exams officer to make a formal claim for extenuating circumstances, then the exams board would have taken this into account when they awarded you your achieved grade.

If in 2019, you just told your teacher about your extenuating circumstances, then this is likely in an informal way. Your college cannot upgrade you based on an informal claim to a teacher that no longer works there. It is very unlikely that this information/conversation was recorded anywhere in their records.

As a private candidate, the college cannot assess at what level you are currently at. All they have to go on for CAGs is your achieved grade from a year ago. There is little else the college can do, especially since the only teacher that really knew your abilities in the subject left the college prior to the assessment needed for CAGs. The current college staff have to be able to provide evidence, proper evidence, to support a high CAG. They don't have any.

Your grade for 2019 is your grade, universities may well accept the extenuating circumstances as to why that grade is lower than expected, but it's still your grade. Equally, your 2020 grade is your grade. Again, universities may accept your unique circumstances as an explanation for the CAG being lower than your capability.

It may be unfair. But there is not a lot you can do. There are thousands of kids working at A*, A, B or C that don't achieve their deserved grade in exams for loads of reasons. In that respect, this year is a one off that nobody could have anticipated 12 months ago.
Last edited by StDave; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (79)
30.38%
Less motivated (181)
69.62%

Watched Threads