The Student Room Group

How to make friends without drinking alcohol at Uni?

I dont drink at all, and im afraid Id be judged seriously for it. Just by how much will I limit myself socially if I dont drink and how much shaming goes on for not drinking?
Original post by bvllvh
I dont drink at all, and im afraid Id be judged seriously for it. Just by how much will I limit myself socially if I dont drink and how much shaming goes on for not drinking?

Don’t feel like you will get judged. If you don’t want to drink...you don’t drink...that’s your choice and anyone that judges you, clearly means they don’t respect you enough and they need to grow a pair. Sometimes I’m out and I don’t drink just simply cause the taste sometimes is just off putting and that goes for all alcohol sometimes...don’t stress, you will be fine!
Original post by bvllvh

Hey,

There's always a big emphasis put on drinking at uni and the stereotype of a student that 'drinks all night and sleeps all day'. But please don't let that worry you if you're not a drinker!

As much as there are people who love going out all the time, there are also plenty of people who don't feel the same, and I have seen a lot of similar posts on here with people having the same fear. You can meet people through your student's union or classes etc who have similar interests to you and would rather not go out too :smile:

Emily, UG Rep
Original post by bvllvh

Hi!

You won't be judged for not drinking and if anyone does then that is their issue. There can be a stereotype that every student drinks but it's not true! It's a totally subjective issue and you should always do what makes you feel comfortable.

This won't limit you socially as there are lots of non drinking activities that you can do and ways to meet new people. You could look at free things to do in your area like any beaches, parks, museums which you can visit with your housemates or any course friends. You can also join any societies and attend the free tasters that they have in the first few weeks at uni to meet new friends who have a similar interest to yourself. Your friends that you meet should be very understanding that you don't drink and it shouldn't stop you all from going out to places where alcohol is consumed as you don't need alcohol to have fun!

Have the best time at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep:smile:
Original post by bvllvh

Hi @bvllvh

I don't drink either and I found that no one was really judgmental about it. I was still able to go to restaurants and other places with my friends.

I made my friends at uni through my course, my job and through societies. I would recommend joining societies as they are great ways to meet people with similar interests and hobbies as your self. Also, some societies may also offer sober socials for those who do not drink.

I wouldn't worry about it as there will be other people who also do not drink. :smile:

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest