Looking for advice: Will withdrawal from previous Uni affect my application?

Watch
iiiiiiian
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I'll start Year 3 at my current school this year, my grade so far at this school is pretty good, and I have just got a 750 on my GMAT test.

It looks all good so far. However, I have got my A-levels in 2015 and studied a completely irrelevant course in another university, I realized that this course was not what I want and was really depressed back then, my score that year was... unbelievably low (around 30-40), and I have eventually withdrawn from that school. I am devastatingly anxious, will this affect my application, and to what extent?

I was advised not to include my A-level results in my CV, but a friend of mine told me that the A-level results shouldn't be omitted, as otherwise the academic category will only have my current university and looks strange.

TLDR: My academic performance at the current school is pretty good but have a history of withdrawn due to academic failure in the previous school, what should I do about this fact for my application, please advise?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by iiiiiiian)
Hi,

I'll start Year 3 at my current school this year, my grade so far at this school is pretty good, and I have just got a 750 on my GMAT test.

It looks all good so far. However, I have got my A-levels in 2015 and studied a completely irrelevant course in another university, I realized that this course was not what I want and was really depressed back then, my score that year was... unbelievably low (around 30-40), and I have eventually withdrawn from that school. I am devastatingly anxious, will this affect my application, and to what extent?

I was advised not to include my A-level results in my CV, but a friend of mine told me that the A-level results shouldn't be omitted, as otherwise the academic category will only have my current university and looks strange.

TLDR: My academic performance at the current school is pretty good but have a history of withdrawn due to academic failure in the previous school, what should I do about this fact for my application, please advise?
Your thread is slightly confusing (maybe just to me). You completed A levels in 2015. You did one year at Uni and dinged it badly. You then went to another uni and did a degree and are now enquiring about a Post grad application? Or did you go back to school and redo A levels?

Anyway - 1. Postgrad applications very rarely ask for A level information and 2. You always have to report all education they ask for, so restarts have to be detailed as requested.

Withdrawal probably won't make a difference if there has been a subject change, or if there were mitigating circumstances (you don't need both).
iiiiiiian
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Your thread is slightly confusing (maybe just to me). You completed A levels in 2015. You did one year at Uni and dinged it badly. You then went to another uni and did a degree and are now enquiring about a Post grad application? Or did you go back to school and redo A levels?

Anyway - 1. Postgrad applications very rarely ask for A level information and 2. You always have to report all education they ask for, so restarts have to be detailed as requested.

Withdrawal probably won't make a difference if there has been a subject change, or if there were mitigating circumstances (you don't need both).
Ah sorry my bad, I went to another uni without redoing my A-levels.
Thanks for the information, does that mean it is best for me to only include my grades at the school I’m studying now, and present them with the full record only if they request for such information?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by iiiiiiian)
Ah sorry my bad, I went to another uni without redoing my A-levels.
Thanks for the information, does that mean it is best for me to only include my grades at the school I’m studying now, and present them with the full record only if they request for such information?
It would help if you stopped calling university 'school' - unless you are in the US, then you should know this is a primarily UK based forum. School is for children aged under 18.

A masters application is unlikely to ask for your school grades. It is likely to ask for all education undertaken at university, whether passed or not. So you are unlikely to have to mention your A levels. You will probably be required to mention the failed year at the first uni.
iiiiiiian
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It would help if you stopped calling university 'school' - unless you are in the US, then you should know this is a primarily UK based forum. School is for children aged under 18.

A masters application is unlikely to ask for your school grades. It is likely to ask for all education undertaken at university, whether passed or not. So you are unlikely to have to mention your A levels. You will probably be required to mention the failed year at the first uni.
Oops... sorry for the confusion, English is not my native language so I didn't quite know about the difference.
Thank you for the information, that is really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (88)
21.62%
No (319)
78.38%

Watched Threads