How to organise folders for a degree?

Watch
Fran2311
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm about to start studying fo rmy biological sciences degree, but I have got no idea how I will need to organise folders. Like at a level, I knew I needed three subject folders and knew what I had dividers for, and knew I needed a day folder. But for my degree, I have no clue. Do I need a folder for each module? If so what dividers go into a module? How do you split it up? How do you even take notes at degree level? I fell completely underprepared as it's such a different structure to a level. Any advice?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would recommend (at least as well as paper and pen) online cloud based folders for uni stuff
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fran2311)
I'm about to start studying fo rmy biological sciences degree, but I have got no idea how I will need to organise folders. Like at a level, I knew I needed three subject folders and knew what I had dividers for, and knew I needed a day folder. But for my degree, I have no clue. Do I need a folder for each module? If so what dividers go into a module? How do you split it up? How do you even take notes at degree level? I fell completely underprepared as it's such a different structure to a level. Any advice?
I used to have a pukka pad for every module, and id keep it all in chronological order.

Online I suggest onedrive or your unis cloud system and an ordered system
i.e
Drive:
1-Admin
2-1st year

then in the first year folder
1-Module A
2-Module B ...

and so on. (in each module separate folders for lecture & course notes, every piece of course work...)

I like to use numbers at the start of folder names (keeps it all tidy)
Last edited by mnot; 1 week ago
Fran2311
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
I would recommend (at least as well as paper and pen) online cloud based folders for uni stuff
Even if you do it online though and just takes notes on a laptop, how do you organise folders? Just by module? Or do you have seprate notes for lectures and seminars and how do they link?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Even if you do it online though and just takes notes on a laptop, how do you organise folders? Just by module? Or do you have seprate notes for lectures and seminars and how do they link?
Umm so for me I had a folder per module (so 6 a year) with subfolders of papers to read, subfolder for essays for and subfolder for lecture notes

Just organise it how you feel comfortable the great thing about computer based is can you rename, copy and paste and just move everything around if you don't like the first style you try
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!

A level and university study differ a lot but the basic principle of organising your work still carries on. In my first year I had separate folders for each of my 6 units and then had dividers separating separate topics covered in each lecture/seminar. Your lecturer should tell you or provide a handbook about what will be covered in the module which will help you organise your work. In my second year I moved to using digital notes so had 6 folders on my laptop with all my individuals lecture and seminar notes typed up (which I found to be a lot quicker than writing) which I did find a lot easier than written notes. However, it is completely subjective so do what ever you feel most comfortable with!

Have the best time at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep
Fran2311
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Umm so for me I had a folder per module (so 6 a year) with subfolders of papers to read, subfolder for essays for and subfolder for lecture notes

Just organise it how you feel comfortable the great thing about computer based is can you rename, copy and paste and just move everything around if you don't like the first style you try
Thank you!
Fran2311
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

A level and university study differ a lot but the basic principle of organising your work still carries on. In my first year I had separate folders for each of my 6 units and then had dividers separating separate topics covered in each lecture/seminar. Your lecturer should tell you or provide a handbook about what will be covered in the module which will help you organise your work. In my second year I moved to using digital notes so had 6 folders on my laptop with all my individuals lecture and seminar notes typed up (which I found to be a lot quicker than writing) which I did find a lot easier than written notes. However, it is completely subjective so do what ever you feel most comfortable with!

Have the best time at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep
So just to make sure I’ve got this right aha- a folder for each module with dividers for each topic in that module?

Thanks for the help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (17)
20.73%
No (65)
79.27%

Watched Threads