15m0808
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What is the relationship between △S (total) and solubility?

Also what is the relationship between △enthalpy and stability or thermodynamic feasibility?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 15m0808)
What is the relationship between △S (total) and solubility?

Also what is the relationship between △enthalpy and stability or thermodynamic feasibility?
The more positive △S (total) the more soluble.

△G = △H - T△S

If △G is negative the process is thermodnamically spontaneous (feasible).
15m0808
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by charco)
The more positive △S (total) the more soluble.

△G = △H - T△S

If △G is negative the process is thermodnamically spontaneous (feasible).
Hi, thank you for your help!

Why is it that more positive △S (total), the more soluble it is?

Is it more likely for negative △H to be thermodynamically stable?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The second law of thermodynamics tells us that for any process to be spontaneous (feasible) the universal entropy must increase.
To explain this law you need to understand statistical thermodynamics. Things happen because they are overwhelmingly more likely to.
Substances, and hence reactions, are made up of huge numbers of particles and cannot avoid the law of large numbers, i.e. their behaviour is determined statistically.
In the macroscopic world we see the specific state adopted by all of the possible microstates (arrangements of particles and energy), it's just that many microstates produce a similar macrostate.
Consequently, we are overwhelmingly likely to get one of the microstates that are most common. This happens when the entropy (arrangements of energy on particles) is at its greatest.
Check out this video:
seals2001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

(Original post by charco)
The second law of thermodynamics tells us that for any process to be spontaneous (feasible) the universal entropy must increase.
To explain this law you need to understand statistical thermodynamics. Things happen because they are overwhelmingly more likely to.
Substances, and hence reactions, are made up of huge numbers of particles and cannot avoid the law of large numbers, i.e. their behaviour is determined statistically.
In the macroscopic world we see the specific state adopted by all of the possible microstates (arrangements of particles and energy), it's just that many microstates produce a similar macrostate.
Consequently, we are overwhelmingly likely to get one of the microstates that are most common. This happens when the entropy (arrangements of energy on particles) is at its greatest.
Check out this video:
Such an exceptional teacher :congrats:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (47)
37.01%
No (66)
51.97%
I don't know (14)
11.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise