Uni grad concerns with letting a flat

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I am a recent uni graduate and I am relocating to Birmingham for a job.
I have never rented a flat or house before (I have only rented student housing and the rules are different for that) and I am so apprehensive about it.
I am nervous about being scammed and dealing with incompetent and dishonest letting agents. I did a very thorough search of the agents reviews of the properties I am looking at, and it just seems that every single agent has too many bad reviews to ignore.

I am currently abroad due to coronavirus and have been trying to set up live virtual viewings so that I can ask questions and be better prepared. But one of them literally setup the meeting and never showed up to it which is a red flag to me..

Any advice? Do you know any good companies to rent with? Thanks in advance!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a recent uni graduate and I am relocating to Birmingham for a job.
I have never rented a flat or house before (I have only rented student housing and the rules are different for that) and I am so apprehensive about it.
I am nervous about being scammed and dealing with incompetent and dishonest letting agents. I did a very thorough search of the agents reviews of the properties I am looking at, and it just seems that every single agent has too many bad reviews to ignore.

I am currently abroad due to coronavirus and have been trying to set up live virtual viewings so that I can ask questions and be better prepared. But one of them literally setup the meeting and never showed up to it which is a red flag to me..

Any advice? Do you know any good companies to rent with? Thanks in advance!
Are you renting a flat on your own or is it for a shared house?

I would look at websites, see if they have good properties, look for membership of ARLA and see if they have multiple outlets. That tends to make them a bit more expensive, but more substantial and less fly by nights.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...gents-15351891
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Are you renting a flat on your own or is it for a shared house?

I would look at websites, see if they have good properties, look for membership of ARLA and see if they have multiple outlets. That tends to make them a bit more expensive, but more substantial and less fly by nights.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...gents-15351891
I am renting on my own. Thanks so much for your answer!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am renting on my own. Thanks so much for your answer!
Find the property first and then see how they treat you. Are they professional and polite plus do they seem to know what they are doing? Until you sign you can walk away.

If youre issue is you are not in Birmingham, then one option is just to stay in a hotel or use an air bnb for 1-4 weeks and find somewhere to move in when you are in Birmingham. You can tell a lot more being on site and you can find out what to look for plus the going rate from online sites or zoopla, rightmove etc. That way you dont lose anything.

If youve got any questions then ask am sure there are other surveys.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Find the property first and then see how they treat you. Are they professional and polite plus do they seem to know what they are doing? Until you sign you can walk away.

If youre issue is you are not in Birmingham, then one option is just to stay in a hotel or use an air bnb for 1-4 weeks and find somewhere to move in when you are in Birmingham. You can tell a lot more being on site and you can find out what to look for plus the going rate from online sites or zoopla, rightmove etc. That way you dont lose anything.

If youve got any questions then ask am sure there are other surveys.
Thats a good idea, I may just have to do that. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (41)
13.53%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (45)
14.85%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (106)
34.98%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.57%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (66)
21.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.28%

Watched Threads