University: Studying 1 year abroad?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hello, I'm currently in my second year at university but I'm thinking about doing 1 year abroad in my second year but my parents rather me do a placement year in the industry. I am studying Psychology with Criminology. What do you think? And, if you had done a year abroad, how was it?
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello, I'm currently in my second year at university but I'm thinking about doing 1 year abroad in my second year but my parents rather me do a placement year in the industry. I am studying Psychology with Criminology. What do you think? And, if you had done a year abroad, how was it?
Presuming you started uni at 18, you are currently 19 and will be 20 when you start your first year - though your parents may be giving you good advice as they know you well, it's ultimately not down to them to make your decisions. I personally think it would make more sense to do a placement year in industry - I think it suits your degree better. However, I'm sure there's lots to learn from doing abroad. At the end of it all, if you're not going to be doing something you enjoy you probably won't benefit from it regardless of whether it's supposedly better. As I don't think there's an obvious better choice I'd recommend doing the one you would enjoy more, as you'll probably get more out of it.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi!!

It depends on what you want to do!

I wanted to go abroad for the experience, plus I wanted to discover new countries as this will help my CV ( I study International Business).

Do what you want to do, you can always try to get an industry placement after uni for a year (you need to speak to someone if that is possible as I'm not sure).

I wish my study abroad happened, but this pandemic has ruined my plans!

Industry placement obviously is good as you get experience and a chance of being offered a graduate job. Plus your course is popular so maybe industry placement would be good. It has to be your choice, not your parents

Good luck!!

Marlena - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.52%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (55)
12.82%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (164)
38.23%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.72%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (83)
19.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.36%

Watched Threads