The Student Room Group

GCSE options

Hi guys , I have to choose my GCSE's in a few months and I'm really stuck between DT and Art.I am good at both but find DT more fun .It looks like a lot to study as well at GCSE level so I don't know if i should take art, which looks easier.I could take both but some people say that's too much, I am aiming to do something like medicine.Any advice?
Original post by SR789
Hi guys , I have to choose my GCSE's in a few months and I'm really stuck between DT and Art.I am good at both but find DT more fun .It looks like a lot to study as well at GCSE level so I don't know if i should take art, which looks easier.I could take both but some people say that's too much, I am aiming to do something like medicine.Any advice?

What other GCSEs are you planning on taking? Art is a lot of work too, both take up a fair chunk of time - I'd probably say that Art is more time consuming. you have to really love art. If you love art- go for it! you will enjoy it. Get advice from your school and talk to the DT and Art teachers. You probably don't need to decide yet- just something to have at the back of your mind. What other GCSEs are you planning on taking x
Reply 2
Original post by isobeln
What other GCSEs are you planning on taking? Art is a lot of work too, both take up a fair chunk of time - I'd probably say that Art is more time consuming. you have to really love art. If you love art- go for it! you will enjoy it. Get advice from your school and talk to the DT and Art teachers. You probably don't need to decide yet- just something to have at the back of your mind. What other GCSEs are you planning on taking x

Thank you , This was really helpful.I'm planning on taking English , maths and science (obviously) , Spanish and history .
Take the subject you enjoy the most. You'll be more motivated to do your work if you enjoy it :smile:
Art takes a lot of time and effort, and you need an extremely high mark to get a 9. I dropped art because as much as I love art and doing art, I knew it would be too time-consuming and I would probably not like it because of the stress, so I would only recommend it if you're really good, or have a real passion for it.
Original post by SR789
Thank you , This was really helpful.I'm planning on taking English , maths and science (obviously) , Spanish and history .

I would definitely go for one of the other then. Don't stress about the workload for either as if you enjoy it it'll be fine. I wobbled between two options for GCSEs for a good few months but I just thought, which do I love more (/enjoy more)? I haven't regretted my choice and it's honestly the best advice anyone can give you about GCSEs. Which do you enjoy/love more?
Reply 6
Original post by isobeln
I would definitely go for one of the other then. Don't stress about the workload for either as if you enjoy it it'll be fine. I wobbled between two options for GCSEs for a good few months but I just thought, which do I love more (/enjoy more)? I haven't regretted my choice and it's honestly the best advice anyone can give you about GCSEs. Which do you enjoy/love more?

I love doing DT and that is probably what I'm going to take now.Thank you so much xx
Reply 7
Original post by SR789
I love doing DT and that is probably what I'm going to take now.Thank you so much xx

Yes go with what you enjoy!
Original post by SR789

I my myself chose art. I am in year 10 and yesterday was my first lesson of art. I also want to do something in medicine but you do you. Do what you enjoy the most. My school gave limited options, so I just picked what sounded the least horrible. You pick what works best for you as well.

Quick Reply

Latest