My parents dont want me to take a gap year!!!

Watch
Anisha23456789
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 hours ago
Hi,

After recieving my ibitial predocted grades for UCAS as B,C,D for maths,physics and chemistry respectively, I qm even now worried and stressed with the fact that I cant apply to a top Russell Group Uni such as Bath,Bristol, Warwick,York and Durham.

My head of sixth form has said that in order to raise your predictions, you need to produce 3/4 pieces of work as evidence to raise your grades.

I spoke to all the Head of the Departments and in particular they all said that even if I score an A/B in the 4 pieces of evidence, unfortunately my grades will only go up by 1 grade and turn out to be ABC.

I spoke to my Head of Sixth Form and she has also said the same.

I admit it is my fault that I didnt take Year 12 seriously and didnt understand the importance of end of topic tests for each subject.

I then spoke to my parents and obviously they are already extremely upset with my predicted grades. My mum says that she really doesnt want me to be a 'headache/pile on' for her or my dad next year in August 2021.

My dad has been optimistic and said that 'in life we all have ups and downs. Dont worry, just work hard and get a B/A in each subject's for each piece of class test.'

I will be getting back my second Physics AS Mock Paper for 2019 June, tomorrow. I am already panicking and worried with the fact, that what if I achieve the same grade (in this case a D)for the first piece of proof for the first evidence. I also know that in the paper, I made couple of mistakes and I am already panicking and worrying with the fact that I just hope I have gotten a B in this paper.

My parents and I have already had a discussion for what happens to my education/what uni I go to.

I go to an all girls private school and my parents have paid for my fees since Year 7 till Year 13 (now). They say that 'we cant support you anymore because we have to think of our future and will not pay a penny more after my A Level Results'.

Having been told this from my parents and with my current situation of my predicted grades, I have lost the motivation to even prove the subject teachers wrong in my 4 pieces of work evidence.

I dont really know what to do now.

I work extremely hard in all my subjects do exam practice questions and practice paper, yet still get the lowest mark in all of my suubjects.

I am extremely worried and confused right now.

I have fallen sick and have started to have symptoms of common cold.

Please can anyone advice.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
(Original post by Anisha23456789)
Hi,

After recieving my ibitial predocted grades for UCAS as B,C,D for maths,physics and chemistry respectively, I qm even now worried and stressed with the fact that I cant apply to a top Russell Group Uni such as Bath,Bristol, Warwick,York and Durham.

My head of sixth form has said that in order to raise your predictions, you need to produce 3/4 pieces of work as evidence to raise your grades.

I spoke to all the Head of the Departments and in particular they all said that even if I score an A/B in the 4 pieces of evidence, unfortunately my grades will only go up by 1 grade and turn out to be ABC.

I admit it is my fault that I didnt take Year 12 seriously and didnt understand the importance of end of topic tests for each subject.

I then spoke to my parents and obviously they are already extremely upset with my predicted grades. My mum says that she really doesnt want me to be a 'headache/pile on' for her or my dad next year in August 2021.

My dad has been optimistic and said that 'in life we all have ups and downs. Dont worry, just work hard and get a B/A in each subject's for each piece of class test.'

I will be getting back my second Physics AS Mock Paper for 2019 June, tomorrow. I am already panicking and worried with the fact, that what if I achieve the same grade (in this case a D)for the first piece of proof for the first evidence. I also know that in the paper, I made couple of mistakes and I am already panicking and worrying with the fact that I just hope I have gotten a B in this paper.

My parents and I have already had a discussion for what happens to my education/what uni I go to.

I go to an all girls private school and my parents have paid for my fees since Year 7 till Year 13 (now). They say that 'we cant support you anymore because we have to think of our future and will not pay a penny more after my A Level Results'.

Having been told this from my parents and with my current situation of my predicted grades, I have lost the motivation to even prove the subject teachers wrong in my 4 pieces of work evidence.

I dont really know what to do now.

I work extremely hard in all my subjects do exam practice questions and practice paper, yet still get the lowest mark in all of my suubjects.

Predicted grades aren't the end of the world. You could get into your chosen uni through clearing if you knuckle down, put the work in and end up with the grades you need to get into your preferred unis. CheeseIsVeg knows a bit more about the clearing process and may be able to help you if you're interested.

If your parents can't support you for another year, could you transfer to a different school to repeat the year instead?

You should definitely listen to your dad. Life is a rollercoaster and not everything will always go the way you want it to, but you will get to where you want to be, even if it takes you a bit longer than you wanted to. Good luck.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
Hi,

What degree are you considering?
Anisha23456789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 hour ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Predicted grades aren't the end of the world. You could get into your chosen uni through clearing if you knuckle down, put the work in and end up with the grades you need to get into your preferred unis. CheeseIsVeg knows a bit more about the clearing process and may be able to help you if you're interested.

If your parents can't support you for another year, could you transfer to a different school to repeat the year instead?

You should definitely listen to your dad. Life is a rollercoaster and not everything will always go the way you want it to, but you will get to where you want to be, even if it takes you a bit longer than you wanted to. Good luck.
Thanks fo

(Original post by Muttley79)
What degree are you considering?
Mechanical engineering
Anisha23456789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 hour ago

Thank you for your kind words.

There are unofrtunately limitations in terms of the changing of schools as even if i apply for 2022 entry, i would have to get references from my sibject teachers and hunt them down to do so?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
Thank you for your kind words.

There are unofrtunately limitations in terms of the changing of schools as even if i apply for 2022 entry, i would have to get references from my sibject teachers and hunt them down to do so?
It should be fairly easy to find their emails, or you would be able to contact the school and ask for the contact details of the teachers.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
Thanks fo

Mechanical engineering
Don't look at RG universities then - they aren't the best for Engineering! With ABC you could look at Oxford Brookes and a few others like Sheffield Hallam
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
x
Hey there :hi:
It sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time there :hugs:

First of all the most important thing to realise is that it's not about what your parents want you to study.
It's what you want to study and what subject you enjoy
Don't go down the route of applying to these unis for those courses if you don't enjoy it/don't want to go/don't like the sound of it

There are plenty of Universities out there. What matters to you? Is it the course? Optional modules? Doing a summer placement at uni? Sport? Where you will be in the UK? Have a good research. Check out the forums on here, ask around! Take opinions with a pinch of salt and don't have everything based on Russell Groups or League Table Rankings
Have a good think :yy:

Like DTL says, Clearing is always an option and it's nothing to be ashamed about. You don't need a Russell group uni and all A*s to get into the career you want. There is No Wrong Path in Life! :yes:
You need to be driven and have your heart in it and be passionate about the subjects your studying. Trust me, it's very difficult to excel in exams if you don't enjoy what your are studying or have no interest in it.

Secondly if you work hard it doesn't matter which school you go to as long as you accept teacher support and do work after school. It's about trying your best ie: coming out of the exam and thinking "wow I really did the best I could in the time and capacity that I had". That's what you wanna aim for. Nobody else's opinions, predicted grades or :blah: matters.
Remember if you're having trouble with a subject or topic, your teacher is there to help you! Don't be afraid to ask them questions and ask them how you can further improve :yy:

I hope this helps + if you have any general queries you can quote me
Cheese

:jumphug:
Anisha23456789
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 38 minutes ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
Hey there :hi:
It sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time there :hugs:

First of all the most important thing to realise is that it's not about what your parents want you to study.
It's what you want to study and what subject you enjoy
Don't go down the route of applying to these unis for those courses if you don't enjoy it/don't want to go/don't like the sound of it

There are plenty of Universities out there. What matters to you? Is it the course? Optional modules? Doing a summer placement at uni? Sport? Where you will be in the UK? Have a good research. Check out the forums on here, ask around! Take opinions with a pinch of salt and don't have everything based on Russell Groups or League Table Rankings
Have a good think :yy:

Like DTL says, Clearing is always an option and it's nothing to be ashamed about. You don't need a Russell group uni and all A*s to get into the career you want. There is No Wrong Path in Life! :yes:
You need to be driven and have your heart in it and be passionate about the subjects your studying. Trust me, it's very difficult to excel in exams if you don't enjoy what your are studying or have no interest in it.

Secondly if you work hard it doesn't matter which school you go to as long as you accept teacher support and do work after school. It's about trying your best ie: coming out of the exam and thinking "wow I really did the best I could in the time and capacity that I had". That's what you wanna aim for. Nobody else's opinions, predicted grades or :blah: matters.
Remember if you're having trouble with a subject or topic, your teacher is there to help you! Don't be afraid to ask them questions and ask them how you can further improve :yy:

I hope this helps + if you have any general queries you can quote me
Cheese

:jumphug:
Thank you.

I do like Maths,Physics and Chem.

Its just it always goes wrong everytime I sit the class end of topic exam/test and get very low marks compared to everyone ( in fact I am the only one who has been getting lowest amongst my subject peers).

I do practice questions and exam practice questions and get everything right.

My subject teachers say to me that I have a habit of copying answers from the markscheme when I do a class exam pack set of questions for homework, when I dont understand something.

I have been working on this issue and problem.

As for the course I do really want to study is Mechanical Engineering.

My parents have really high expectations of me and i am unable to fulfil their wish regarding about getting 3 A s in my subjects.
StDave
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 minutes ago
If you have poor predictions, it's not the end of the world. Yes, it makes it more difficult to be successful in getting offers the very top universities, but you could still get offers from a lot of great universities for mechanical engineering.

If you don't want to apply with poor predictions, you can always work really hard, do well in exams and get good final grades. Then you can apply to universities that have vacancies with your final results in hand.

As Muttly says, you need to look at the merits of all universities, don't just focus on RG (Bath is not RG). But if you, or your parents, insist on RG, then you'll find a lot of them in clearing with reduced entry requirements. York is one of many with loads of vacancies and reduced offers for clearing. Even if a university initially rejects you in the normal ucas application period, it could still take you later on if it has places to fill.

There are many options for you if you stay motivated. If you give up now, you will severely reduce your options. Work hard, prove your teachers wrong, get good results and this time next year you could easily be in a very well respected university. Doing a degree with real value.

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (27)
13.71%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (28)
14.21%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (68)
34.52%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (20)
10.15%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (44)
22.34%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (10)
5.08%

Watched Threads