asdfgkillmenow
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a guaranteed contextual for any course i apply for at Bristol because i did Sutton trust. I am applying for law and politics there, AS A BACKUP. I want to go to Manchester. no other universities really take my fancy outside of London. I do like some London unis but i can't afford to live there.

what I'm asking is if I put in my personal statement that I have always wanted to study at the university of Manchester, will it be more likely that they say yes? (at Manchester I'm applying for law and politics, politics and IR and politics and Russian, maybe also politics and french)
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You do know most personal statements aren't even looked at right? Just keep it general and don't specify.
impoor123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no - that’s not the best thing to say because you have one personal statement and all your universities, so if a London uni reads that it may affect your offer/acceptance
imxks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd strongly recommend not to specify. It may sway other universities to not accept you which wouldn't be ideal. If you really want to go to Manchester, include some specific topics from the Manchester course that can show you've looked into their prospectus etc
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by impoor123)
no - that’s not the best thing to say because you have one personal statement and all your universities, so if a London uni reads that it may affect your offer/acceptance
agreed.
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I thought by the title of the post that you knew some famous to mention in your PS.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's not very good form - I wouldn't. (even if your personal statement is only ever skimread - people generally assume offer rates are much lower than they actually are) Even if it was, everyone would say that they've wanted to go to their top choice since exiting the womb so it'd be meaningless.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 week ago
asdfgkillmenow
Rep:
?
g

thanks for the response,

Im applying to bristol, but i have a guaranteed offer from them so regardless of what I out in my ps I will be made an offer. I'm applying for two courses there, law and politics.

Im then applying for 3 courses at manchester, law, politics and IR and politics and mfl. Grades: AAA, AAB, ABB x So the only uni who will read my personal statement is manchester, thus my asking. does that change your answer in any way?
asdfgkillmenow
Rep:
?
(Original post by imxks)
I'd strongly recommend not to specify. It may sway other universities to not accept you which wouldn't be ideal. If you really want to go to Manchester, include some specific topics from the Manchester course that can show you've looked into their prospectus etc
thanks for the response,

Im applying to bristol, but i have a guaranteed offer from them so regardless of what I out in my ps I will be made an offer. I'm applying for two courses there, law and politics.

Im then applying for 3 courses at manchester, law, politics and IR and politics and mfl. Grades: AAA, AAB, ABB x So the only uni who will read my personal statement is manchester, thus my asking. does that change your answer in any way?
asdfgkillmenow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
agreed.
thanks for the response,

asdfgkillmenow
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
It's not very good form - I wouldn't. (even if your personal statement is only ever skimread - people generally assume offer rates are much lower than they actually are) Even if it was, everyone would say that they've wanted to go to their top choice since exiting the womb so it'd be meaningless.
thanks for the response,

asdfgkillmenow
Rep:
?
thanks for the response,

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (72)
21.43%
No (264)
78.57%

Watched Threads