trotters03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi does anyone have any EPQ ideas that are relatively uncommon but have a lot of research surrounding them and can get a good grade?

Is Pol Pot, the Crusades or War of the Roses good topics?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by trotters03)
Hi does anyone have any EPQ ideas that are relatively uncommon but have a lot of research surrounding them and can get a good grade?

They are all fine as areas, you could get A+ in any of them its what and how you write plan and research that will be important.
Pick an area and then become familiar with it making a list of possible subjects as you do so. I think the one about Richard III and public image has been overdone.

Look for events.
Personalities.
Themes over a period.
Unanswered questions.
oliviamkc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
“Getting a good grade” is highly possible with any epq topics.

As for an area - what do you enjoy about history? Do you have a favourite time period? Get thinking about what you like ... and enjoy and see Is there anything you can see yourself wanting to sit down and research (& writing). We don’t know if you study history (you probs do) and I would say be careful you don’t overlap your topic with anything you are learning. ie. war of the roses (May be a topic you study already).

Don’t in my opinion choose an epq topic just because you think it will get you a good mark or will look good? It is meant to show you can independently research and that you can work with information.
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by trotters03)

It's really hard to recommend someone an EPQ topic when there's an endless list of possibilities!
As the above users have already said, if you put in the work, you can get a good grade in whatever topic you choose.

Pol Pot, the Crusades and War of the Roses are all good topics, you just need to think of a good question that's neither too broad nor too niche. Good question starters could be "to what extent did x impact y?", "how far was x the main reason why y happened" etc.

It will probably be easier to find sources and documents on the crusades and the war of the roses because they're so well researched and you'll have an extensive list of English sources. Unless of course you speak Cambodian in which case finding sources on Pol Pot won't be an issue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.1%
I'm not sure (59)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (650)
49.28%

Watched Threads