Civil Service - Policy Advisor or Level 7 Apprenticeship?

Watch
KhalidH1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi all,

I can't decide between two jobs I've been offered. One is a level 7 accountancy apprenticeship (duration - 1.5 years) and the other is a policy advisor position.

The starting salary for the apprenticeship is £28k and £32k for the other role. However, with the apprenticeship I will be guaranteed a big pay rise and promotion (£40,000 - £55,000) upon completion.

I'm concerned about working full-time and studying so I'm leaning more towards the policy advisor position but given the earning potential of the apprenticeship, do you think I'm making the right choice? I don't want to make the wrong decision so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Dammie9311
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by KhalidH1996)
Hi all,

I can't decide between two jobs I've been offered. One is a level 7 accountancy apprenticeship (duration - 1.5 years) and the other is a policy advisor position.

The starting salary for the apprenticeship is £28k and £32k for the other role. However, with the apprenticeship I will be guaranteed a big pay rise and promotion (£40,000 - £55,000) upon completion.

I'm concerned about working full-time and studying so I'm leaning more towards the policy advisor position but given the earning potential of the apprenticeship, do you think I'm making the right choice? I don't want to make the wrong decision so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
First of all congratulation!!!

Personally, I would take the apprenticeship, it allows more scope for learning and development and then the pay increase indicates you have now learnt. Whereas the other would expect you to hit the ground running which for someone studying may be a bit challenging to keep up with.

Could we have a private chat about how you made it to this stage. I can't seem to pass. I clear all the tests and then seem to fail on competencies or personal statement
Heldol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The apprenticeship will be harder work for the 18 months but you will move up the levels quickly and salaries will increase in line. The policy advisor job won't give you the chance to move up for at least 2 years and it will be slower, but won't have exams linked.
It depends what your drive is, promotion and more money but more stress, or a guaranteed role without exams but slower progression and lower salary.

The apprenticeship program will have study time and tutoring built in to your weekly workload.

Good luck in your choice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (25)
30.86%
Less motivated (56)
69.14%

Watched Threads