Deciding between Classical Civilisation and Philosophy for A-level

Watch
mayanayse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I've currently had 1 week's worth of A level lessons; I'm taking English Literature & Language (combined), Fine Art, Philosophy and Biology (a weird mix I know) and I've enjoyed all the lessons so far bar the philosophy, which whilst I love reading about I've found the lessons dull and simple. I don't know if the course will continue this way or if it's just the first lesson, but I've been told Classical Civilisation could be perfect for me because of English and the fact I like mythology. I don't know what to do & any help/information on the courses is much appreciated
username4814928
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If it's more literature based (as opposed to history based) DEFINITELY classical civilisation. It's one of those a levels which if offered, it is a great opportunity to take it. It is very unlike other subjects
oliviamkc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I agree with the above comment ^^.

I want to add however, as someone who did a rather weird mix of a levels. what do you want to get out of the subjects? I know you’re only in year 12 but what do you want to do after?

ClassCiv can be amazing if taught well and is what you expect it to be. It’s very (or it was when I was doing my a levels) very essay and reading (literature) heavy And introduces you to the Greek and Roman world.

I would suggest, especially if you are unsure having a look at the subjects specification and seeing whether or not, the topics that are covered will intrigue you and make you want to learn more.

Here is OCR; https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/315133...ation-h408.pdf
mayanayse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by ccosmic)
If it's more literature based (as opposed to history based) DEFINITELY classical civilisation. It's one of those a levels which if offered, it is a great opportunity to take it. It is very unlike other subjects
yeah, paper 1 is hugely literature based and the art and politics side of it definitely intrigue me, but metaphysics of mind and metaphysics of god is intriguing in its own right
oh.ME.DEA
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Not the most helpful comment but I am doing class civ (also in year 12) and really enjoying it. That said I'm also really enjoying philosophy Pre-U. One thing that I will point out is that the closest you will get to mythology is in the epic poetry section of the course (i.e. Homer's works and also the Aenied). I don't think you will get a huge amount of the golden age of mythology stuff if you get me . Hope you end up happy with the choice you make!
Last edited by oh.ME.DEA; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (114)
14.29%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (85)
10.65%
Changed course offer (35)
4.39%
Clearing (58)
7.27%
Conditional offer (11)
1.38%
Deferral (33)
4.14%
Ucas Extra (92)
11.53%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.13%
Point of Entry (56)
7.02%
Self-release (116)
14.54%
Tariff Point (64)
8.02%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.38%
Withdrawal (23)
2.88%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (69)
8.65%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.75%

Watched Threads