Interea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm planning to apply to Cambridge this round for maths, and I'm trying to narrow down colleges (I'm not particularly fussed since I've never been to any of them, just don't want to make an open application as I like certainty ).

I've cut it down to Christ's, Corpus Christi, King's, Selwyn and Sidney Sussex so far, and I was wondering if any of these had exceptionally good/bad student support for wellbeing - I've had pretty bad issues in the past and don't want to end up somewhere with a reputation for being awful at taking care of their students.

Any help would be much appreciated! :cute:
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Interea)
I'm planning to apply to Cambridge this round for maths, and I'm trying to narrow down colleges (I'm not particularly fussed since I've never been to any of them, just don't want to make an open application as I like certainty ).

I've cut it down to Christ's, Corpus Christi, King's, Selwyn and Sidney Sussex so far, and I was wondering if any of these had exceptionally good/bad student support for wellbeing - I've had pretty bad issues in the past and don't want to end up somewhere with a reputation for being awful at taking care of their students.

Any help would be much appreciated! :cute:
Most people only have experience of one College, so comparison is difficult. I think smaller Colleges tend to be better, so I'm not sure I'd put Kings on the list. I can only speak to Selwyn and have found their pastoral care outstanding, but that's also within the issues and challenges I've known about, ymmv.

No Colleges are awful, but welfare solutions are needed when students are in high stress, challenging situations, just because they feel they've been badly dealt with, doesn't mean that objectively they have.

The university also has an array of supportive welfare services, so College isn't the only layer of help available.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree with the above post. Most colleges seem to have their own in-house counsellors and if that is something you might make use of, that could be a deciding factor for one college over another (there's also uni counselling service too so you won't miss out - but might be a slightly longer wait to see someone, though again their are emergency appts). I think colleges on the whole are generally quite good at dealing with students on a case by case basis, though, and providing the necessary support (or funds to get it if they can't do so directly).
Interea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Most people only have experience of one College, so comparison is difficult. I think smaller Colleges tend to be better, so I'm not sure I'd put Kings on the list. I can only speak to Selwyn and have found their pastoral care outstanding, but that's also within the issues and challenges I've known about, ymmv.

No Colleges are awful, but welfare solutions are needed when students are in high stress, challenging situations, just because they feel they've been badly dealt with, doesn't mean that objectively they have.

The university also has an array of supportive welfare services, so College isn't the only layer of help available.
Brilliant, thank you I was wondering about Kings for that reason, but it's reassuring to hear that you've had positive experience at Selwyn and things sound pretty good overall!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (633)
48.96%

Watched Threads